Kitchen Elevations - Too Many Dimensions

Dezigner99

Hello All,

How do I set my default dimensions so that when I create a dimension line across a wall of cabinets, I get this:  - just the cabinets and centerline dimensions:

image.thumb.png.ce73014f4b6943607575cbffdf95a358.png

Instead of this - which dimensions EVERYTHING!! - Cabinets, moldings, shelves text lines, etc. :  

image.thumb.png.a2600f30f50191486d376b3f4279a899.png

This is my biggest time waster in Chief Architect - deleting the unnecessary dimension points.  

Also, is there a way to add a point onto an existing dimension line?  

I often make changes to cabinet layouts  -  dividing cabinets or adding cabinets to walls that I've already dimensioned and I often wind up with missing dimensions like this:

image.thumb.png.eb06beafe2893f2aeef5cc4308e4a386.png

It doesn't show the dimension of the break between the cabinets or the refrigerator end panel.  

This is what I want (without having to redimension everything):

image.thumb.png.1438a44e6e5f02489a655bce87fceb50.png

Other CAD programs will allow you to click on the line and add a point or just refresh that dimension line.   Is that possible with CA - Interiors?  

Thank you! 

Yes Eric, X11.  I'm going to upgrade to X12 whenever I can slow down long enough to do it.  No wintertime slowdown for NC this year!  

I have watched several of the dimensioning videos, I must have missed the one with that info.  

Thank you Eric. I found how to add the dimension point.  I must have missed that when I watched the videos earlier.  

Now if I can figure out how to not dimension everything when I manually dimension a cabinet elevation.  

1 hour ago, Dezigner99 said:

Now if I can figure out how to not dimension everything when I manually dimension a cabinet elevation.  

That has to do with the "locate objects" tab in your dimension default. It looks like your dims may be locating moldings? And there appear to be a number of point markers there. If you did not use a pt to pt or otherwise place them they could have gotten there by altering/or deleting a cabinet with a dimension string already in place-or sometimes copy and pasting a cabinet.

FWIW I use manual dims for cabinets most of the time. I use default sets to tie the dims to layersets. Dimensions won't snap to something that is not showing so the layer set hides what I don't want in the view but the dimensions all go to the same layer. Below is the list of Default sets and the Dim Cab Wall Elev in use.

image.png.75438bd41e5aeccb05e310df2bb1ec00.pngimage.thumb.png.a452dec7130312203e1688bc5d5ad48b.png

Click select set, hotkey drag dim, click next set, drag, go back to the Cab All set prior to saving view.

It's likely worth spending some time checking how "locate objects" behaves, might also look into "proximity fixed" under the extensions tab. Proximity fixed determines where the dimension line is placed, while it can be finicky it's very useful and underused feature. (note once prox fixed is set in the default string placement can only be changed selecting dimension #1 in extensions tab)

I would not spend a lot of time setting this all up until after we see what they are doing in X13 as there is something in the works.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/10239/automatic-dimensions-configuring-for-exteriors-what-s-coming-next.html?playlist=171