Aligning Walls Over Brick

EStewart71

Go to solution Solved by rgardner,

I'm pretty new to chief and am having a hard time figuring out how to create my foundation walls (8" CMU w/ brick) so that my 1st floor walls align over the brick rather than the main foundation layer (block). Can someone point me in the right direction?

• Solution
1 hour ago, EStewart71 said:

I'm pretty new to chief and am having a hard time figuring out how to create my foundation walls (8" CMU w/ brick) so that my 1st floor walls align over the brick rather than the main foundation layer (block). Can someone point me in the right direction?

There are lots of variables but 99% of the time it is your wall definition not set to align to the right points.  Without a plan or pictures of the wall definitions for both your foundation walls and upper walls no one will be able to definitively help you.

27 minutes ago, javatom said:

The wood walls should align to the the foundation NOT the brick.  Think of the brick as a facade.  It does not support the walls above it.

The brick is a structural member as long as installed with Type S mortar and supported by the footing. While it doesn't have to be a structural member the brick certainly can be.  See the image. 

Brick-faced foundations - Fine Homebuilding

25 minutes ago, rgardner said:

There are lots of variables but 99% of the time it is your wall definition not set to align to the right points.  Without a plan or pictures of the wall definitions for both your foundation walls and upper walls no one will be able to definitively help you.

Thanks Ryan. It was my wall definition. I moved my brick to my main layer with my block foundation wall and was able to line it up. I had previously had it in my exterior layer. I appreciate the response.

4 hours ago, EStewart71 said:

The brick is a structural member as long as installed with Type S mortar and supported by the footing. While it doesn't have to be a structural member the brick certainly can be.  See the image. 

Brick-faced foundations - Fine Homebuilding

It might be a little hard to install seismic hardware etc. with this set up.

3 hours ago, javatom said:

I would imagine that all areas would need bolts to secure the bottom plate.

That was my first thought when I looked at this detail; either an anchor bolt, Simpson plate connector -- something. I'm sure the OP just didn't show the anchor.