Wall schedule question

PMMully

Wall type definitions do not seem to have a description field other than the wall type field.

The default object type for a wall looks to have %automatic_description% as the macro in the description field. This feeds the description of the automatic wall schedule. However, I would like to have a short name for my wall type and a longer description of the w all. Is there a way to tie a customer wall description to the wall type? Right now it seems like I have to add a description for every wall.

Here is the example below where the macro is grabbing the default wall type name, and an example of where I put in a description on a specific wall. That last row is what I am looking for.

image.png

2 minutes ago, solver said:

Don't understand the problem. What are you not able to do?

The problem is I can not see how to attach a more detailed description to a wall type definition that could be included in the schedule. versus just the "Name" of the wall type. 

The default %automatic_description% macro is pulling in the wall type "name" via the description field in the object information, which is pointing to the macro. The macro in this case points back to the "name" of wall type. So for example in row three above, I want to have that description be associated with all walls of the same type. In this example, I removed the macro and manually typed this in. 

3 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Patrick,

Have you looked at the "Wall Construction" columns in the Schedule?  That could be exactly what you are asking for.

LOL, Joe are clearly a genius :-). Pretty much exactly what I did. Very cool.

So let me hit that gray matter one more time.... I would like to change the name of something in the library. Make "Cat face - Beige - 1/2" to "Stucco - 1/2". I see I can copy something in the library, but no option to paste it, or edit it. I know I can create a new material, but it would be able to copy and modify some things.

8 hours ago, rgardner said:

Open the material for that wall in plan instead of library and rename it to 1/2” stucco.

Rename it where in the plan?  I went to the wall type definition in plan and I could not rename the layer in the wall definition.

36 minutes ago, PMMully said:

Rename it where in the plan?  I went to the wall type definition in plan and I could not rename the layer in the wall definition.

Select the Wall Layer then the Material Column then "Plan Materials" and rename it there.

• Upvote 2

One more note:

• You can edit "User Library" items but not "Chief' Library" items.
  • Copy any "Chief Library" item to your "User Library" and then you can edit to your hearts content.
  • If your wall types use "User Library" materials then ......;)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1