Organization?

DeltaHome

The good news is that I had to update my laptop for other purposes, and this new laptop (in signature below) is not laggy like the old laptop that I used for X12 Premiere.  Other good news is that a quick call to Chief and installing the program on the new laptop was simple.

Bad news is that when I copied my plan, layout and CAD and other files over to the new laptop, my layout lost links to my drawings.  I am slowly going through looking at the missing file name, searching for it, then copying it to the folder and then selecting that file as the "replacement."

This leads me to question what is the best way to organize our files?  Do you put all your files on a project in the same directory?  Or do you put them in different directories, etc.

I have no clue as to what is best, so help would be appreciated.

And I upgraded to X13, so my guess is that it will install its own X13 directory, so putting stuff in the X12 directory now would seem pointless.

On 5/15/2021 at 10:51 AM, DeltaHome said:

his leads me to question what is the best way to organize our files?  Do you put all your files on a project in the same directory?  Or do you put them in different directories, etc.

I have no clue as to what is best, so help would be appreciated.

I have a CA directory then a ___paid directory under that, and then job name directories under the CA directory. Each job directory has the plan and layout. it also has backup directories for that plan and layout. Once my client pays, I move the job directory to the ___paid directory

as far as I can tell as long as .layout and .plan are in the same directory, you can move the directory around at will without losing the references

• Like 1