Changing exterior wall heights - straight wall with break in middle union again when heights change

AaronS71188

Drawing as-built plans

I have a tall exterior wall made of 8"CMUs. I broke the wall vertically in a spot where there was an obvious addition done to this building years ago - the roof slopes differently and the exterior walls are different heights.

In an elevation view, when I change the height of one wall, the other wall also moves and the two walls union back as one full wall again. My break is gone. 

Is there a setting, or default that keeps unioning these walls? 
It happens both if i click and drag to extend the height, and if i change the dimension manually.

Secondly, when i increase the wall height by dimension change, sometimes instead of the wall height going up, the footer extends downward as if the top is locked in place. Is there a reason that happens and can it be changed so that all footers are locked and wont move on me?

Thanks all!

DCD Addition 2.plan

Just now, solver said:

It's best to not change wall heights manually, by dimension or by dragging.

Why are you needing to do this?

I have a wall height that I need to match on this existing building. Is there a different/better way to change the height of individual walls?

This building is very old with at least 3 additions done over the years, so there are many levels 

6 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

It should be stable if you only select the wall that needs to be adjusted in elevation view.  If you need to adjust both walls then make one of them a copied wall type.

I believe I am only selecting one wall in elevation view and adjusting the height. - see my video 

For whatever reason, they join and move as one

24 minutes ago, AaronS71188 said:

I believe I am only selecting one wall in elevation view and adjusting the height. - see my video

Sorry...     Call it a wall segment then.  Select only the segment you want to adjust.   Not as you did in the video.

On 5/13/2021 at 12:11 PM, solver said:

When you adjust wall heights manually, Chief gives up control over those walls and you are then responsible for them.

That makes sense.. so now question is, can i go back to the default wall heights without deleting/redrawing and losing all of the windows and doors ive already added?