ROOF PLAN IN PLAN VIEW

BruceKC

Just now, amddrafting said:

If an builder couldn't build that based on that view then they shouldn't be building houses.  That's why elevation views are important as well.  However, we do fill the first floor planes as a solid similar to what was shown in an earlier post to differentiate what floor plate the roofs start on. 

It is the plans reviewer who will question the extra lines....  you will not believe some of the comments I get from plans reviewer.  

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Dermot said:

As far as I can tell, no one has ever asked for this.  If you would like the program to work differently, then you should probably submit a feature request and include any plan files and pictures that show exactly what you would like the program to do.  Please remember that discussing these things on the Q&A forum is not the same as actually submitting a feature request.

I have now submitted this as a suggestion.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

OK, I watched the silent video, pausing it so I could see various things, and I am lost.  Here is what I have.

He described the process here:

On 5/12/2021 at 1:49 PM, Alaskan_Son said:

We actually CAN get hidden lines for roof planes using the reference display.  I’m away from my computer so I can’t verify exactly how I do it but here are the required steps from memory:

• Give all your roof planes a solid white fill
  • Move all your roof planes so that they are being displayed on the same floor.  This step MIGHT not be a necessity but it simplifies things and its the only way I've done it.
  • Adjust the drawing order of your various roof planes so that they are displayed properly with upper planes drawn over lower planes
  • Let’s say at this point only roof planes are displayed and they appear as though you were looking down on them in an orthographic top view.  Let’s call this our Solid Planes set.
  • Now copy that layer set to create a second layer set where the roof planes are a slightly lighter weight dashed line style.  Let’s call this our Dashed Planes Reference set.  
  • Switch back to your Solid Planes set
  • Turn on the reference display, set the referenced floor to the same as your current floor, set the reference layer set to your Dashed Planes Reference set, set the reference floor to draw on top, and leave Details unchecked.

That doesn’t address how to deal with walls and other items you want to display and edit in those views.  You can probably sort through that on your own, but that’s the basics for getting hidden lines for lower roof planes.

19 hours ago, Dermot said:

As far as I can tell, no one has ever asked for this.  If you would like the program to work differently, then you should probably submit a feature request and include any plan files and pictures that show exactly what you would like the program to do.  Please remember that discussing these things on the Q&A forum is not the same as actually submitting a feature request.

• Upvote 1

On 5/12/2021 at 10:13 AM, joey_martin said:

We get hidden lines at countertops, stair nosing, and stair stringers,

On 5/12/2021 at 11:08 AM, dshall said:

NICE CALL!  Yeah....

Do we though?  Or are those just ALWAYS displayed as dashed lines because they’re ALWAYS hidden objects?  

10 hours ago, Chrisb222 said:

Base cabinets and stringers show as dashed lines OOB due to the line settings in ALDO, which can be changed

Yes.  This was my point.  We don’t get any special hidden line behavior with those objects.  It just looks like we do because those object types are always being “hidden”.  A simple line style change is all that’s necessary.  It’s comparing apples and oranges.  

• 10 months later...

You are a great fellow that you were able to figure out exactly how to make the drawing of your roof understandable to anyone. Recently, my husband and I bought a new house, and we also have a rather complicated roof. When we decided to repair the roof, most roofers refused to work with them precisely because of incomprehensible drawings. Of course, we found a company with sufficient knowledge to deal with our roof and install the soffit and fascia. But I have big claims to those who made such incomprehensible drawings.ou are a great fellow that you were able to figure out exactly how to make the drawing of your roof understandable to anyone.