ROOF PLAN IN PLAN VIEW

BruceKC

I have my roof drawn, (pretty complex), and it all works. I can't find a video or article on how to show the roof plan in plan view where lower roofs are hidden or partially hidden  by roof planes above them.  Is there a resource showing that?  I looked in help, in training videos, nowhere do I see an answer.  Thanks.

Give us an example of what you want to see on your construction docs.

Roofs shown in plan view in Chief are not rendered as solids.  Their bounds are shown, so a lower roof under one higher does not have "hidden" parts not shown.

Are all your roofs showing on one plan level, i.e., 0, 1, 2, . . . ?  That is a start.  We need to see what you want to do, to be able to suggest solution.

Chief doesn't do hidden lines for roof planes (don't get me started on that) so here is what I do. 

You can use the roof plane level tool...

image.thumb.png.9c55f606ad186eb838a95cef4ad5dcbc.png

this tool allow you to move a roof plane up or down depending on where you want it shown. 

I then fill and note the "upper" roof planes so that they are noticeable and noted that they are on a different level.

This one....

image.thumb.png.5fff4012ef6c17aebca91833fd953d1e.png

shows the roof planes with the fill as resting on the first floor plate line, and there is a note saying that as well.

Yes, but why? Do you have a ROOF PLAN layer set and/or default set or SAVED PLAN VIEW? 

When I am ready to work on my roof plan I simply hit ROOF PLAN and Chief does the rest. I then just add notes and such.

Sending anything to CAD just creates more work.

Below is the "roof plan view", but of course no one could build that as the roof planes are all overlapping etc.  I remember years ago there was an icon which showed the view from directly overhead and you could just send that to a CAD to detail view.  I'm sure I'm making this very difficult, but it is confusing.  Thanks for everyone's help.

roof plan view.jpg

Thanks Joey, I appreciate the help, but it just seems that there should be an easier way to do it.   As you can see, the roof plan is complex, and I just want to simplify it and make it easy to read for the builder.  the pdf I posted earlier shows what I want.  Whatever happened to the icon that allowed us to look straight down on the top of the house?

Generally, on a complex roof (and that is about 100% of my projects), making the upper roofs have a solid fill gets me most of the way there. After that, I add some dashed cad lines. I would complain more about it but I am the only one here and I don't want to hear it.

• Upvote 1

I don't like the solid fill idea because it will hide the walls below.

For a 2 story I show a roof plan from the 2nd level,  the first level roof are showing via ref set..... and then.....  I HATE TO USE CAD LINES BUT I HAVE TO USE DASHED WHITE CAD lines over the lower roofs that are hidden by the upper roof.  

I would complain more about it but I am the only one here and I don't want to hear it.

• Upvote 2

Thanks everyone!  I think if I use the orthographic overview and then set the 3D view to Top, I get what I want and I can send that to a CAD detail and tweak it there if I need to.  I'm sure I'm making this more difficult than it needs to be, but for now this works.  Again, thanks to all of you, you are all life-savers for a newbie.

On 5/12/2021 at 8:35 AM, joey_martin said:

Chief doesn't do hidden lines for roof planes (don't get me started on that)..,,

We actually CAN get hidden lines for roof planes using the reference display.  I’m away from my computer so I can’t verify exactly how I do it but here are the required steps from memory:

• Give all your roof planes a solid white fill
  • Move all your roof planes so that they are being displayed on the same floor.  This step MIGHT not be a necessity but it simplifies things and its the only way I've done it.
  • Adjust the drawing order of your various roof planes so that they are displayed properly with upper planes drawn over lower planes
  • Let’s say at this point only roof planes are displayed and they appear as though you were looking down on them in an orthographic top view.  Let’s call this our Solid Planes set.
  • Now copy that layer set to create a second layer set where the roof planes are a slightly lighter weight dashed line style.  Let’s call this our Dashed Planes Reference set.  
  • Switch back to your Solid Planes set
  • Turn on the reference display, set the referenced floor to the same as your current floor, set the reference layer set to your Dashed Planes Reference set, set the reference floor to draw on top, and leave Details unchecked.

That doesn’t address how to deal with walls and other items you want to display and edit in those views.  You can probably sort through that on your own, but that’s the basics for getting hidden lines for lower roof planes.

While I appreciate the work and ideas @Alaskan_Son (Michael) that is a ridiculous amount of work and steps when all we need is for Chief to give us hidden lines. The program knows when there is a countertop on top of a cabinet, it should know when 2 roof planes overlap. Sooo, that's a big no for me on creating all that to get hidden lines. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

In the example given by the OP, all the walls are shown as single dashed lines, no matter what level (0, 1, . . . ), and if we want to get that we need to do CAD work.  Those wall lines are an important element.

Doing those roof planes with solid fill and controlling order of draw is done, then the entire group of CAD lines representing the building lines, i.e., the outer face of the main layer, is given FRONT status in order of draw.  Creating the CAD goes quickly.

10 minutes ago, joey_martin said:

While I appreciate the work and ideas @Alaskan_Son (Michael) that is a ridiculous amount of work and steps when all we need is for Chief to give us hidden lines. 

I kinda expected that type of response.  To each his own. I wasn’t actually suggesting you do it because it sounds to me like you’re doing just fine without.  I was just pointing out that it’s possible without CAD.  I do however think its worth noting that once you set it up, the only extra steps required for new drawings are moving planes to the same floor and adjusting drawing order.  Not actually that ridiculous IMO.

• Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

Why is hidden so important?

Construction Documents 101.

We get hidden lines at countertops, stair nosing, and stair stringers, we should get them for overlapping roof planes, and half walls hidden by overlapping countertops. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, joey_martin said:

Construction Documents 101.

We get hidden lines at countertops, stair nosing, and stair stringers, we should get them for overlapping roof planes, and half walls hidden by overlapping countertops. 

NICE CALL!  Yeah,  why can't we have hidden roof lines?

Chief doesn't do hidden lines for roof planes (don't get me started on that) so here is what I do...

Yeah,  why can't we have hidden roof lines?

As far as I can tell, no one has ever asked for this.  If you would like the program to work differently, then you should probably submit a feature request and include any plan files and pictures that show exactly what you would like the program to do.  Please remember that discussing these things on the Q&A forum is not the same as actually submitting a feature request.

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, BruceKC said:

Below is the "roof plan view", but of course no one could build that as the roof planes are all overlapping etc.  I remember years ago there was an icon which showed the view from directly overhead and you could just send that to a CAD to detail view.  I'm sure I'm making this very difficult, but it is confusing.  Thanks for everyone's help.

roof plan view.jpg

If an builder couldn't build that based on that view then they shouldn't be building houses.  That's why elevation views are important as well.  However, we do fill the first floor planes as a solid similar to what was shown in an earlier post to differentiate what floor plate the roofs start on.