The Ultimate Laptop Computer

duckbill4375

I Design and Build very high end custom homes. I just bought a new Mercedes Benz Sprinter Van. I want to set up a state of the art Mobile Office. I want to use this office for everyday work on the job site and also for demonstrations to get future clients. If I am Building a 3 or 4 million dollar house I can just pull on to the job site and stay there all day and have everything I need with me in this mobile van.

I am going to install about a 55" monitor and maybe 2-- 27" monitors. I can use these for my everyday work and have the large monitor for demonstrations.

Now here is where the question comes in. I want to have the ultimate lap top to hook up to these monitors. I want to have a lap top so I can also use it in my home office.

I have been looking at M-Tech Computers. (See the attachment.) 

Is it really worth it to spend this kind of money? I want to be able to do very, very fast Ray Traces.

Does anyone know anything about M-Tech Computers.

I know how to design and build houses but when it comes to computers I am lost. I would really like some feedback from some of you Chief Users that are also computer gurus.

If I am going to all of this expense to set up this mobile office I for sure want to make sure that I am not week in the most important part the computer.

Thank you, Bob

5.The most powerful notebook computer made!.pdf

Be careful about selecting a Laptop for use with larger monitors.  Generally, the maximum resolution that a Laptop will support is the native resolution of the built-in monitor.  That means that you'd be limited to 1920x1200,  I have a Desktop and a Laptop which I keep synched so that I have my projects on both. 

If you can get the power worked out for a Desktop in your van then I think you should go that way.  You get more computer for the money and you could probably buy an identical system for home.

http://config.boxxtech.com/products/cf_step3_p.asp?email=jon.caffee@gmail.com&sent=Send+Copy&Key=388733297&QuoteID=1481656&ModelInstanceID=1307

Model Specifications

Intel Xeon E5-2600v2 Processor
Intel® X79 Chipset
17.3" Full HD (1920x1080) LED Backlit with Super Clear Glare Screen
NVIDIA Quadro K5100M 8GB
Up to 32GB DDR3 1600MHz
3 x SATAII Ports Internal
1 x IEEE 1394b Mini Port
1 x USB3.0 / eSATA Port
2 x USB 2.0 Ports
2 x USB 3.0 Ports
1 x HDMI (V1.4) Out Port
1 x External DVI Port
1 x Display Port
1 x Kensington Lock Port
4 x Audio Jacks for Headphone-Out, Line-In, Microphone-In, and S/PDIF-Out
Built-In 9-IN-1 Flash Memory Reader
(MMC/RSMMC, SD/mini SD/SDHC/SDXC compatible/MS/MS Pro/MS Duo)
1 x Express Slot 34
Integrated Intel® Dual Band 7260-AC 802.11ac/a/b/g/n Wireless LAN
Integrated Bluetooth Ver 4.0
Built-in 2.0M Digital Video Camera
Intergrated Finger Print Scanner for Security
10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet
78.44WH Polymer Smart Lithium-Ion Battery Pack
16.5"(W) x 11.3"(D) x 2.4"(H) 12.13 lbs with Battery

I would call Boxx and tell them what you need.  There are a few customs from Panasonic and Fujitsu, but they're mostly military and would add another $10K over what Boxx will do.

jon

Be careful about selecting a Laptop for use with larger monitors.  Generally, the maximum resolution that a Laptop will support is the native resolution of the built-in monitor.  That means that you'd be limited to 1920x1200,  I have a Desktop and a Laptop which I keep synched so that I have my projects on both. 

If you can get the power worked out for a Desktop in your van then I think you should go that way.  You get more computer for the money and you could probably buy an identical system for home.

I agree with Joe on considering a desktop PC for your van. You can easily get two high-end, overclocked desktops for half the price of the laptop you quoted, and I suspect with much superior performance.

MSI has at least one laptop that supports 4k external via HDMI even though native resolution is 1920.

Those specs could easily be trimmed to half the cost and still be overkill. I could arch my Sager today for under 1500.

I'm pretty sure CA runs better on the Geoffrey cards than the Quadro and generally less money for equal memory.

Lastly a 55" in that small a space seams like a bit much.

I agree with Joe and Barton, go with a desktop build! 

Also a 55" monitor may be a bit large for the mobile office.

The van interior doesn't seam long enough, even with chairs placed at the rear door.

Also consider the vibration damage potential to the electronics! If the van doesn't have air ride i would plan on isolation dampers for the mounting points of all fixtures.

Carefully consider what you need to accomplish "on Site" 

I would have to assume the area that you would be building these million dollar homes in, would be a facility to rent a meeting room for the occasional client presentation.

I actually thought about doing this as well. Came to the conclusion that it was way to much overhead to make financial sense.

my 2 cents. :)

• 1 month later...

I to design & build and had a mobile office although it wasn't a Benz. As you have already bought the Benz it's a little late for

me to recommend not doing the mobile office.  That said, I think you will tire of it so, I would design your interior so it has other 

uses than an office.  I would agree, no need for a 55" monitor in such a cozy setting.  My clients are all professionals, doctors,

etc. and ever since I have been providing them with Chief ray traces, they have all been sufficiently impressed using just a

1920x1080 display.  I use a 4k display along with the one just mentioned and I prefer 3D modeling on the 1920x1080.  I have

found that Chief is much more interested in processor power than expensive graphics so, I also agree,go with the desktop.

I am curious if you plan to get a generator?  One of the things I enjoyed most was setting up onsite to do my initial design work

prior to having power to plug into.

Also, I just bought a Lenovo Yoga Pro 3 and that runs Chief just fine and provides great "on the go"

tech-ness with clients.  Anyway, good luck, I think you owe everyone a pic when you get it done. ;)