L Block

Coop53

Go to solution Solved by joey_martin,

• Solution

You don't in Chief Architect, but you can make the foundation wall a PONY WALL and set the depth of the top to 4" so that it simulates an L-Block. 

Also, Chief will automatically add your brick ledge and it will be very close to what you need if you set the wall definition up right. From there, detail the rest.

12 minutes ago, joey_martin said:

Top, not corner. Here in crawlspace land many builders still use the L-Block for the brick ledge.

8x8x16-hollow-header.gif

Thanks Joey,  I did not realize there was such a thing.

Here in Indiana the "solid L-Block" was very common...for years.

However, with the proliferation of concrete pump trucks and eliminating the sand, mortar, block delivery and the scheduling of a block mason to build a crawl...almost every foundation here in central Indiana is constructed with poured in place concrete. It's faster, stronger and you eliminate a lot of waste and save a ton of scheduling/build time. 

2021-05-03_13-18-55.thumb.png.e3adaf3677e083e8349b9cc8f20fcb22.png

Foundation Example:

2021-05-03_13-36-01.thumb.png.3588f15aef716c82cfd5facea24fffad.png

14 minutes ago, joey_martin said:

@SNestor I haven't done a crawlspace in a while..almost all basements now. I have one builder up in Kokomo that still lays crawlspaces and uses either the solid or cored, whichever he can get his hands on.

Yea...I'd have to say that poured crawlspace walls is a by-product of big city-ism. Custom Concrete and Weber Concrete share ownership of all new foundations on the north side of Indy. Once you get away from their marketplace I'm sure using block is still very typical.

Thank all of you for your input,

In Morgan County area, block foundations are still very common.

In This case the builder is doing a large garage and wants a top row of l block, toward the inside so that he can pour his concrete floor to the top

of the L block, and the concrete floor rests of top of the l part of the block, hope that makes sense.