how to get framing member below header?

SH_Canada

for 2x6 walls here, they will typically place a 2x6 on flat below the header (which is typically 2ply), as the header is shoved to the outside wall. if there is no 2x6 on flat below the header, there is nothing to brad nail the window casing to or attach drywall to

For dimensional number if the framer framed the wall as chief shows it in a wall detail, he would have to rip a 2x4 down to a 2.5" or less (depending on the curve of the 2x10s) or install 2x3 on edge wide piece to place against the header.

below is how it is typically framed here. notice the 2x on flat i added.

Anyway to get chief to do this? I tried box headers but that did not seem to do anything. It impacts the maximum height of windows from the floor that you can specify. If you are tring to get wndows to align with door heights, and you have a wide window which needs a 2x10 header, then you actually need 9.25+3.5+1.5 = 14.25 from the top plate, instead of 12.75

thanks

image.thumb.png.be194f757e870edb5d048fe88b5e343b.png

There are some new settings in X13 but I am not quite sure how it would handle that exact scenario and those that know can not say.

I am pretty sure that situation was requested but you may still need to frame it manually.

Check out the video starting at 4:40  https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/10231/wall-framing-what-s-coming-next.html?playlist=171

"Automatic" (Presets in Default Settings" are limited to the existing programming of the software but you can manually do anything you can dream up since you are not a pre-programmed device. Just do what you wish when you desire something is my advice.

DJP

"Check out the video starting at 4:40  https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/10231/wall-framing-what-s-coming-next.html?playlist=171"

looks like they have added it by giving the ability to specify "top of wall" for the header location

On a side note, some framers here will frame the header at the top of tall walls as well. helps with insulation as the header is effectively in the attic

Thanks for providing the video

83 3/8" is the RO height when a 2x10 header with plate under is tight to the top, when 97 1/8" is wall height.

I'm not able to access my X12 today but how does Chief autoframe it when the 2x10 header and 82 7/8" window height and 1/2" top clearance is specified?

Should be a quick edit, but you'll do it for each opening in wall detail, then for each opening in section to get the inside ply tight to the outside ply.

Tedious, but straightforward editing.  I do it on every job.

1 hour ago, GeneDavis said:

83 3/8" is the RO height when a 2x10 header with plate under is tight to the top, when 97 1/8" is wall height.

I'm not able to access my X12 today but how does Chief autoframe it when the 2x10 header and 82 7/8" window height and 1/2" top clearance is specified?

well, you picked up on it I think. The reason it shows as it did in mine is there was insufficent space. 109" wall, 96 to top of window. 96+1/2+9.25+3+1.5=110.5. 1.5" too tall. but in testing this, it still does not show up at 94.5 and instead puts in cripples. BUT if Iower the window even more if does show up.(see sceenshots below) Bizzare?

This explains why I saw this same "missing member" in some of the videos

@genedavis: so are you having to add in this horiziontal member for every plan that there is a 2x10 header (or other size as the 2x6 on the window below shows no member)  and the window heights match the door height?

image.thumb.png.69cadd94cfde65f30b58e3d61e0bef17.png

image.thumb.png.11230a1b2fd16c4b4ac8a15b7b579e61.png

well some more information. it only frames like if i have it as "Boxed" and only until I put the top of window at 93.25. 93.25+3+3+9.25+0.5(R0)=109, which is what my wall height is. once I set to 93.5, CA removes the top and bottom members from the header.  So I suppose that is consistent for a boxed header, just not what i want. ...wait for X13 maybe.

but for those that are not 2x10, i should change the window default to boxed, as then at least they will show correctly

So for window height to align to door height, your doors are not a standard 6/8, or 8/0?

And your wall height is 109 not 109-1/8?

Most places sell 9' precut studs that produce the 109.125 wall height, and that's what you see in Chief's OOB template.

On 5/2/2021 at 5:46 PM, GeneDavis said:

So for window height to align to door height, your doors are not a standard 6/8, or 8/0?

Yes doors are 96", walls are 109. I actually checked a couple houses being built and the framers do not frame 109-1/8, they frame 109. They only sell 92-5/8 precut here.

But even if it was 109.125 it does not work, 96+1/2+9.25+3+1.5=110.5. 1.25" too tall.

For this window  I put a note for the framer to put a filler for drywall backing on front face of header

But for the other windows which are at 2x8 header, it does not work  in chief but does work in the physical world.. i.e chief is trying to do this math for a boxed header: : 96+1/2+1.5+ 7.25+1.5 +3=109.75. too tall, where if it framed what I want it would do this math: 96+1/2+1.5+ 7.25+3=108.25, which fits. hopefully in X13

my thoughts were, are you using the boxed option and then adding in the lower 2x6 for every window which has a 2x8 header(for 9' ceilings 8'door scenario)?  ...assuming you actual print out the wall detail.

I'm now researching a macro that others have done which calculate the height +RO/2 to put in the window schedule. So the only walls I should have to plot the wall detail are tall walls as they sometimes have different details.

I'm trying to eliminate the thinking for the framer.

of course the problem with all this is it assumes a consistent finished floor height, as most people do not want 1" of gap below some doors and 1/4" below others. Which is another pet peeve of mine, mostly for renovations. A lot are too lazy to put down more subfloor (3/16 to 1/2) to ensure all floors match. 

The R.O. opening height for an 8/0 exterior door is 99" plus or minus.

A header with a plate under it thus can be no taller than 5-1/2", for 109" walls.

Until a new update happens and gives us more framing options, one will have to do manual editing to get headers tight to top with plate under.