Plan & Layout Template Coordination

Joe_Carrick

I like to work with my Plan Drawing Sheet matching my Layout Pages.  To do this:

• I create both Templates with the same size & display the "Drawing Sheet"
  • I determine the workable area within the Layout (inside border & title)
  • I set the margins of my Plan Template to match those Layout limits
  • I create a polyline matching the outside of the Plan Drawing Sheet - on a custom Layer "Sheet Boundary" & then I lock that Layer.

Now, when workin on a Plan with the "Drawing Sheet" displayed I can see exactly where the plan will be when sent to Layout.  The resulting Layout Box will be exactly the same size as the Layout Page, facilitating lining-up all floors in Layout.

For CAD Details I typically use a "CAD-Detail" Drawing Sheet size of 5.6825" x 5.6825" as this fits nicely within my Layout Border (4 details high and 5 details wide) on my  Arch-D Layout.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

do you adjust the scale of the plan (File->Print->Drawing sheet setup) to match the house size. i.e. if you start and draw 50' wall and realize that is only half your real estate, do you then go and change this scale so the 50' wall is now 75% of your real estate, or do you do something different?

thanks

No, I change the drawing size.  My Layout and plan Templates includes all of the larger sheet sizes - different layers for each size.  There are borders, title blocks, etc in the Layout Template for each sheet size.

I simply change the Layerset and the drawing sheet sizes.

interesting. my sheet is 24x36 and then I send to layout at different scales.. But you would avoid that by doing what you do.,

Today my sheet has no real bearing unless I send at 1/4 as that matches my drawing sheet scale. I think what one is supposed to do if one wants to only use 24x36, is to adjust the scale on the drawing size so that the drawing sheet is the scale one would be sending to layout. then one is always drawing to fit, so to speak

Is that the reason you do with different sized templates, to maintain a fixed scale, or are there other advantages? I can see fixed scale being a large advantage when doing text, dimensions

Hi Jason,

I almost always use a scale of 1/4"=1'-0" for my plans.  If I have a plan that won't fit on an Arch-E (36"x48") sheet then I'll use a key plan at 1/8"=1'-0" and match lines to split up the 1/4" scale plans in the Layout.  In a few cases I've created custom sheet sizes:

• Arch-D2 (24"x42")
  • Arch-E2 (30"x48")

But I only do that if it means I can get the plan to fit at 1/4"=1'-0"

Naturally, whenever I create such custom sizes I add the appropriate borders, titles blocks, etc to my templates for future use.

BTW, my preferred size is Arch-D (24"x36") and that's my default template for new projects.

As far as text and dimensions are concerned, I have Layersets set up for those that use scale specific dimension & text styles - per Layer.  CA only has text and arrows in "real world units" so that's the only way to assure those elements will appear correct when the scale is changed.  Several years ago I mad a suggestion that those elements should be in "print units" so that they would always be readable regardless of the scale.  Since I don't think that's never going to be implemented I just took the time to create all the styles and Layersets that I need to use and I'v coordinated those with my default "Saved Plan Views".

I believe that X-13 will have multiple "Dimension Defaults" so that should get even better - but will probably require quite a bit of additional customization of the Plan Defaults.