how to get auto exterior dimensions to pick up roof plane

SH_Canada

Hi,

I'm looking to auto dimension a roof layout, but I can't get the auto dimension to pick up the roof plane. it will only pick up the wall. I tried changing from surfaces to wall dimension layer, but it doesnt seem to make a difference.

Am I missing something or are people manually dimensioning either the eave to wall or eave or eave to eave. I had to manually dimension below. I would prefer it if auto dimensioned just the eave all the way around

image.thumb.png.93f55428b499443c1bb4b9a494c36445.png

that was going to be my next question. where does one see it, Is the roof plan the only place you have it as a single "typical dimension" + note?  I would like to show on a site plan so the plan reviewer can see if it meets bylaw(i.e. I would dimension from PL to wall and PL to eave). There is a rule here for setbacks to walls but also setback to eaves(cannot be less than 2' from PL). Plus the truss guy want to know, and he wants to know if that 2' includes smart board or if it is just 2x6 clad with aluminimum, so he can deduct those widths from the (house dim+eave width). I put it on the detail, but it kind of seems out of the way. I was looking to improve readability.

for additions here, people are always trying to squeeze more building, so the authority will give relaxations on the wall to PL rule (typ 4'), but they want to keep the eave at bylaw. This means addtions near the PL will have a shorter eave, than say the eave on the main house or even the front eave (where there is no such restriction). So a side eave maybe 1 ft, but the gable front eave will be 1'6. regular joes dont notice, but if youdrive through older neighborhoods you will see this squeeze happening, especially if is at the back or side of the house

On 5/2/2021 at 6:54 PM, jasonN said:

that was going to be my next question. where does one see it, Is the roof plan the only place you have it as a single "typical dimension" + note?  I would like to show on a site plan so the plan reviewer can see if it meets bylaw(i.e. I would dimension from PL to wall and PL to eave). There is a rule here for setbacks to walls but also setback to eaves(cannot be less than 2' from PL). Plus the truss guy want to know, and he wants to know if that 2' includes smart board or if it is just 2x6 clad with aluminimum, so he can deduct those widths from the (house dim+eave width). I put it on the detail, but it kind of seems out of the way. I was looking to improve readability.

Use a detail, spec a dimension in that detail or put per plan, simple enough. You can snap dimension lines to roof planes.

9 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

Use a detail, spec a dimension in that detail or put per plan, simple enough. You can snap dimension lines to roof planes

thanks, thats exactly what I have done (in detail, plus in roof plan)

1 hour ago, jasonN said:

thanks, thats exactly what I have done (in detail, plus in roof plan)

Strongly suggest redundant info unless you are using a macro. Very easy to change that info in one spot and forget the other. Just use a "per detail, or per plan" note or use a macro.

5 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

Strongly suggest redundant info unless you are using a macro. Very easy to change that info in one spot and forget the other. Just use a "per detail, or per plan" note or use a macro.

I hard coded it in the detail, and dimensioned it in the plan. I assume the dimension will change in the plan if I moved the eave in and out, so the only place  I need to worry about is the detail. if I had it in a macro, I would have the same problem, i.e. I'd be guaranteed everywhere the macro was would be correct, but then if I moved the roof plane in or out in plan view, the macro would no longer be correct? The only way I see it could be correct in both places is to do what Joey does which is the detail is the live view. Unless of course you could create a macro from the actual roof plane pitch which resides in plan view...is that what you do? It would be great if you could, assuming all eaves are the same. But still, for when they are the same it would be the perfect way to do it. I think the only way to do that is to connect a leader line to it and reference the object. So if I did not want the leader line to show, I guess I could put it on another layer. A little cumbersome, but a good solution I think