Material list Count Units

DH7777

I'm trying to change the way my brick is calculated in materials and it is showing from linear ft. to sq.ft.  Below is the directions from the "Launch Help" tab. The part in Red has no  Sq.Ft. option when I follow these instructions. None of the other drop down list I have found have this option either. I am lost...

Changing Count Units
The material for a given object component will be counted either by piece; linear feet or meters; square feet or meters; or cubic yards or meters. The same method and unit used in the Count column will be used in the Extra column.
When the Count is linear, area, or volume, you can choose a different unit of measurement:
Double-click in a cell in the Count column to select and edit it, then choose a unit of measurement from the drop-down list to the right of the selected cell.

You need to go back to the material definition and change the Material List Calculation on the Material List panel.

Sounds like you want Area.

Eric passed over it in the beginning of his vid.

Then when you have a ML, you can change the units - ie, from square inches to square feet.

You can't change the category in the ML - ie, from Area to Linear.

There are no options to change Count because the number of bricks can only be defined as a number.

17 hours ago, solver said:

Ok, I went to material definition and the wall I opened up in the DBX is already set to area. When I go to the Material list, the brick , in the count column is still in linear ft. because it says 43ft. which is precisely how long the wall is. I do notice in the say count column other materials show sq.ft. 

15 hours ago, glennw said:

You need to go back to the material definition and change the Material List Calculation on the Material List panel.

Sounds like you want Area.

Eric passed over it in the beginning of his vid.

Then when you have a ML, you can change the units - ie, from square inches to square feet.

You can't change the category in the ML - ie, from Area to Linear.

There are no options to change Count because the number of bricks can only be defined as a number.

"In material definition and change the Material List Calculation on the Material List panel" this is done already and still shows linear ft. in the count column for some reason. When I double click the box in that column a drop down menu appears to allow me to choose different forms of measurements. Square Foot is not one of the options but all other ones are. Weird...

On 4/30/2021 at 7:29 AM, DH7777 said:

Ok, I went to material definition and the wall I opened up in the DBX is already set to area. When I go to the Material list, the brick , in the count column is still in linear ft. because it says 43ft. which is precisely how long the wall is. I do notice in the say count column other materials show sq.ft. 

The materials list does not auto-update. You need to recreate the materials list. It is a snapshot in time of the model when it was created.