Text, Dims, ect for specific views, ie electrical, plot plan, ect

Willis93

When I have my electrical view open and put text, dims, ect on that view I do not want it to then show up on another view, for example on the plot plan. Question: How do you isolate that information to ONLY show up on the view you are currently working on, when you click the text icon. I am sure there is a way so that if I put a dimension on the electrical view, it doesnt tranfer to to other views when I switch. It takes so much time to click on that dimension, then switch it to the electrical dim layer so it stays off of other layers. I have searched, read and cant figure it out? TIA for your answer. Below is one of my favorite works so far. LOVE this software, btw. I am a builder and a designer, so this is super fun to see all this come to life without having to pay a 3rd party for renderings, then I get to build it!  

Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 11.57.01 AM.png

Thanks, to you both, I guess I am an idiot. LOL I have watched every video and still can't get this figured out. Others struggle with it as well. Thanks for not answering, LOL, I will keep looking. Maybe a little sarcasm but in truth neither of your answers are helpful at all. Instead of replying with something like the above just dont reply. 

• Downvote 3

This can't be real.  You created the 3D model, the house, with the interior you show on the picture, all of which would require you to study and train with the software, extensively if I might say, and you cannot understand layers, layersets, default sets, and saved plan views?

in plan view for floor 1, open it using the various out-of-box SPVs, and for each one, carefully examine the active layersets and all the defaults.  You'll learn something.

They did answer you correctly. The solution to your problem is learning more about saved plan views. However, there are many nuances to setting them up correctly. If the default ones aren't already working for you then it's not something that can be explained via a forum post without a more specific question. Your best bet is watching some training videos on the subject. This forum is great for tips and tricks and being pointed toward resources to learn; not so much for hand holding and detailed training.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

22 hours ago, Willis93 said:

....in truth neither of your answers are helpful at all. Instead of replying with something like the above just dont reply. 

That attitude is not going to get you far.  In truth their responses were perfectly valid and would be helpful if you would take them to heart.  You can't (or at least shouldn't) expect people to regurgitate information/lessons on complex fundamentals.  If you needed quick clarification on a specific bullet point that's one thing, but your question is on a complicated subject that requires YOU do a lot more digging on your own using the proper resources.  Sure someone might come along and make you a custom video or take an hour or 2 out of their day to repeat information that Chief has already provided, but doing so is just silly if the information is already out there.  The guys above were right and gave you some very good and accurate information.  I would also add that in addition to the items they mentioned (Layer Sets, Default Sets, and Saved Plan Views), I would also strongly suggest you read up on Multiple Saved Defaults and Active Defaults.  You can do so in any order you wish and using any number of available resources, but my personal suggestion is to start with the latter 2 and to use the Help Files to do so. 

• Upvote 3

On 4/26/2021 at 8:56 PM, GeneDavis said:

This can't be real.  You created the 3D model, the house, with the interior you show on the picture, all of which would require you to study and train with the software, extensively if I might say, and you cannot understand layers, layersets, default sets, and saved plan views?

in plan view for floor 1, open it using the various out-of-box SPVs, and for each one, carefully examine the active layersets and all the defaults.  You'll learn something.

EXACTLY!!!!!! Thanks for pointing out how difficult this seemingly simple task is. I can draw and design like CRAZY, but have to do alot of manual layer switching. I know Im missing something....

On 4/27/2021 at 10:50 AM, Alaskan_Son said:

That attitude is not going to get you far.  In truth their responses were perfectly valid and would be helpful if you would take them to heart.  You can't (or at least shouldn't) expect people to regurgitate information/lessons on complex fundamentals.  If you needed quick clarification on a specific bullet point that's one thing, but your question is on a complicated subject that requires YOU do a lot more digging on your own using the proper resources.  Sure someone might come along and make you a custom video or take an hour or 2 out of their day to repeat information that Chief has already provided, but doing so is just silly if the information is already out there.  The guys above were right and gave you some very good and accurate information.  I would also add that in addition to the items they mentioned (Layer Sets, Default Sets, and Saved Plan Views), I would also strongly suggest you read up on Multiple Saved Defaults and Active Defaults.  You can do so in any order you wish and using any number of available resources, but my personal suggestion is to start with the latter 2 and to use the Help Files to do so. 

Thanks for the input. My attitude is what it is. These guys respond with this generic replies all the time, over and over. Its a waste of their time and the posters time IMO. Its always the same guys too. They must sit and watch for post and reply with these types of responses. Just because I dont like that type of reply doesnt mean its wrong, I just dont see a purpose in it. The time I ahve taken to even respond to you is a waste of time. LOL Alaska looks amaxing btw, we watch all the shows on TV. 

• Downvote 1

On 4/27/2021 at 8:50 AM, Chris_Kelly said:

They did answer you correctly. The solution to your problem is learning more about saved plan views. However, there are many nuances to setting them up correctly. If the default ones aren't already working for you then it's not something that can be explained via a forum post without a more specific question. Your best bet is watching some training videos on the subject. This forum is great for tips and tricks and being pointed toward resources to learn; not so much for hand holding and detailed training.

If you would of read my post, I have been through all the videos and articles. IMO Chief has failed to properly document how this works. Evidence is all the different topics each of you have suggested for research, which I have red them all, some more than once. Evidently this has been a problem for a long time, post go way back complaining about this. There is a post I found with some actual "steps", after I posted this, that i will refer back to and see how that helps. 

Thanks to all of you for your input and excuse any rudeness that might be coming across. This has been frustrating to make it this far in this AWESOME software and be stuck on this very important part of it. Ill be doing MORE research. LOL

On 4/26/2021 at 12:28 PM, solver said:

What sort of help would you like?

No one here knows your setup, or exactly what you are doing.

As I said above, the program is set up to work the way you want. Are you using an unmodified X12 template (Residential Template.plan)?

I started with that template yes. Looks that was a mistake. 

When I have my electrical view open and put text, dims, ect on that view I do not want it to then show up on another view, for example on the plot plan...

I have been through all the videos and articles. IMO Chief has failed to properly document how this works...

The key to what you are trying to do is to learn how to use "Saved Plan Views" and "Default Sets".

There are a number of videos that explain how these tools work.  You may want to watch the following video series again:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/playlists/100/saved-plan-views-layers-annotations.html

If you still have questions after rewatching these videos, then you may want to ask some more specific questions.  I have found that the posts that get the most useful responses are the ones that have more details and less attitude.

If all else fails, you may want to review some of the additional training resources we have available:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/training/

• Upvote 2

Hang in there Jim!

We have all missed something while learning this software. You will see basic tips posted on here all the time that one of us long-term users will reply "Thank you" because they did not know that. 

Yes, you are missing an important one but get a little training and you will be back on track and so thankful!

Best,

Charles

I will post a little tidbit I learned. If you auto dimension it goes to a specific layer as specified in the defaults->dimensioning->auto dimension, NOT the layer defined by your annotation(now know as "Default") set. However what I also found out after noticing my auto dimensions coming on and off dfferent SPVs, is that the auto dimension set layer is global and is applied retroactively to any which have been set already.

For instance, goto your floor plan SPV. goto defaults->dimensions->auto exterior dimensions-> and change the layer to "dimensions, xyz". Then click on your auto exterior dimensions.

dimensions will appear with layer "dimensions, xyz"

then goto some other  plan view, and  goto defaults->dimensions->auto exterior dimensions-> and change to "dimensions, automatic". Then click the Auto exterior dimensions.  the dimensions wlll be on layer "dimensions, automatic"

but if you go back to your floor plan SPV and click on the exterior dimensions, they will no longer be on layer "dimensions, xyz", they will be on layer "dimensions, automatic".

You can mitigate this by inserting a step after you create the auto dimensions, whereby you select all dimensions (quick way to do this is to click on the ruler button, and then shift draw a selection for the whole plan. open the up the dialog, and turn any check box on and then off. This seems to effectively tell the program they are no longer automatic dimensions, and the layer you intended will be kept. Some may ask but why dont you keep the auto dimensions the same for each view?  well for different views I may want to dimension to different things and have more or less dimensions, for instance a roof plan doesn't need dimensions to openings

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jasonN said:

is that the auto dimension set layer is global and is applied retroactively to any which have been set already.

For instance, goto your floor plan SPV. goto defaults->dimensions->auto exterior dimensions-> and change the layer to "dimensions, xyz". Then click on your auto exterior dimensions.

dimensions will appear with layer "dimensions, xyz"

I don't think the dimensions are changing layer "retroactively".

Rather, you are generating new auto dimensions that go to the new default layer and overwrite the existing auto dimensions.

Any editing to an auto dimension, will indeed, change it to a manual dimension - that is what is happening when you select all the dimensions and open and close the dbx.

• Upvote 2

"overwrite the existing auto dimensions"  would be seem to more accurate as the program seems to be changing it once you create the new auto dimension. retroactively implies there are multiple sets that it goes back and overwrites. I suspect there is only one set, and it keeps overwriting it