Painfully Slow Layout

AmandaBrady

We have 5 systems in our office and one of our staff is working on a brand new system with the Nvidia 3070 video card:

Device name    DESKTOP-PAYTONO5SETKG
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz   3.79 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.9 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Running X12

The rendering and raytracing is lighting fast, no issues there. However, the layout files for this system are painfully slow. Barely move an elevation box over slow. I've exhausted too many hours trying to figure out what is up. The file size isn't huge (we have many more that are larger that this isn't an issue with on the other, older systems).  I will attach both the plan and layout file here. 

When she created this file, she was careful to use basic materials and 3D objects, nothing custom as a bit of an expirement to see if that changed anything, but no luck there either. It just seems to be really slow on this new system.

Viewports are set to Update on demand. 

It's not letting me upload the files here, saying they are too large. The Plan file is 21,647 KB and the Layout File is 18,240 KB.

Thanks in advance for any feedback or suggestions on what we seem to be missing here.

If you have 4 other computers to test on there is not likely much point of uploading the plan file here.  The one thing I will say is that "Update on Demand" is not quite what you may think and requires quite a bit of computing power to maintain those in layout even though you are only updating on demand. If you can switch to plot lines while you are working it sometimes helps.

The other thing to try is a "Save As" but that is not as likely with your stated file size.

Thank you. In another file that was slow, I went in and changed all of the Update on Demand to plot lines. The only thing I found with that - when we printed, it wasn't as crisp looking from an elevation standpoint, it was almost blurry or fuzzy -- do you find that also, or is that a setting I need to adjust?

1 hour ago, AmandaBrady said:

Thank you. In another file that was slow, I went in and changed all of the Update on Demand to plot lines. The only thing I found with that - when we printed, it wasn't as crisp looking from an elevation standpoint, it was almost blurry or fuzzy -- do you find that also, or is that a setting I need to adjust?

Plot lines are fairly standard for elevation views but I was not necessarily suggesting to switch the style of your drawings, but just to speed up the program while you work and then switch back just before printing.  Also as Mark is saying the plot line views need to be manually updated.

• Like 1

I usually create two layout files toward the end of the project.  I copy paste the layout and delete the 3D views from the working drawing layout so I can move more quickly.  Then I can combine the view pages from the full layout with the working drawing pages in a PDF editor.  Not ideal, but I can move along a lot faster.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MoeGia said:

I usually create two layout files toward the end of the project.  I copy paste the layout and delete the 3D views from the working drawing layout so I can move more quickly.  Then I can combine the view pages from the full layout with the working drawing pages in a PDF editor.  Not ideal, but I can move along a lot faster.

Is that procedure for your SurfaceBook or your Desktop ?

4 minutes ago, MoeGia said:

Desktop!

It's not a problem for small plans, but if I have a lot of views it's just easier for me to strip the layout.  I hate waiting!

Wow that is surprising based on your system specifications...   Have you tried laying out with plot lines and then switching them back when you are ready to print ?