Roofs and renovated attics

stager386

I am trying to figure out what I am doing wrong. I have a cottage where the second floor is basically a finished attic. We are adding a deck, expanding the kitchen, and leaving a high ceiling in the kitchen, with no space above. If I treat this like a Cape Cod or story-and-a-half, I am constantly fighting with roof lines and upstairs wall heights.  Here is what I can create with the first floor expansion. Exterior first floor

Here is the original cottage.1288096229_Ext(4).thumb.jpg.636a61d5dc6685e7f4b37caa08db18c3.jpg

Once I start dealing with a second story (since CA won't let me turn an attic into living space) the roof lines get messed up with the addition, and the gabled front wall gets wonky. The interior near the addition gets all weird too, with roof edges cutting into rooms etc.....

I am trying to find the right direction as far as instruction.  I have done so many seminars and watched videos, but clearly I am missing some fundamentals. Any thoughts on this?

Thank you!!

9 minutes ago, solver said:

Create the as built, then add a blank 2nd floor. It will build under the existing roof. Add new 2nd floor walls. Make needed changes to roof and 1st floor.

What do you mean "create the as built"?