Skylight shaft not showing when building roof with "Ignoring Top (2nd) floor"

poissonn

Go to solution Solved by rgardner,

Hi everyone, 

I have been using this forum for quite some time now and so far, I've been able to find answers to all my questions. However, I seem to be stuck with this one...

I am currently designing a single story house, with an attached 1.5 story garage (attic trusses). In order to design this house, I needed to add a 2nd floor derived from the 1st floor for the upper level of the garage. Thus, when building the roof, I have the "Ignore Top (2nd) floor" box checked. 

Where it gets complicated is when I try to add a skylight to the main house's roof. It seems like chief considers there is a 2nd floor on the house as well and this prevents the skylight shaft from generating. Is there any workarounds for this issue? When adding a skylight to a plan with only one floor, the skylight shaft generates without any issue. 

I have a chief plan showing exactly what the issue is...please download from google drive as I was not able to attach a file larger than 2mb:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qJknuksbiOHGaObMWZOcrtRz7LhtaIcb/view?usp=sharing

I'm working on Chief X12. 

• Solution
On 4/23/2021 at 12:01 PM, poissonn said:

I have the "Ignore Top (2nd) floor" box checked. 

Don’t use this rather set your ceiling for the second floor to be 1.5” (sill height) use non flat ceiling for that attic truss storage room.  Place manual ceiling plane.

5 hours ago, solver said:

In your test plan, you have the 2nd floor room as Attic. Change to something else, and research how the Attic room type is special.

You're right, I did not notice I saved my plan with the attic room in the 1.5 story. I actually tried with many roof types and none seem to work. 

5 hours ago, rgardner said:

Don’t use this rather set your ceiling for the second floor to be 1.5” (sill height) use non flat ceiling for that attic truss storage room.  Place manual ceiling plane.

I would have never thought of that, but it actually did the trick! I used a 1.5" room height, put room divider walls around the skylight and set the "room" of the skylight as open below. Now all I need is to adjust the size to fit with the actual skylight and it'll be perfect.

image.thumb.png.61137c0f198bb534407e3edd477ebcd5.png image.thumb.png.e74fe1777afe83b61dc3bfd3120d72c9.png

Thanks to both of you, appreciate it!