PBR Pavings

NeilofOZ

Having issues with different material\colours between Standard and PB Renders.

After setting the material and colour tones to an Alfresco BBQ area, found that I had two different colours to the brick pavings, ie in STANDARD RENDER the pavings

are a cream colour, which is required, but in PBR the pavings are grey. 

Went to my User Group yesterday and no luck with them, see attached images of both renders, couldn't save the CA file as it's too large.       

BBQ Area- Standard Render.jpg

BBQ Area - PBR.jpg

I am not a PBR expert by any means but take a look at your PBR ceiling.  There has been a greenish tone introduced in your PBR which may account for the pavers change in colour.   This is likely due to the outdoor background you are using.  I am not sure if you just need to change the background or make it white.  I am sure there are other discussions about this on the forum so I hope that at least sends you looking  in the right direction.  Hopefully that will fix the sheen you see in the stainless as well.

Chopsaw,

The ceilings are white, that was the first thing I checked.

The background is one of the CA "Backdrops" I have used, I did change this to white also, but nothing changed and

at the moment the "Backdrop" is Öpen Fields", that is why there is a bright green colouring reflected on to the stainless steel.

The back and left hand sides of the Alfresco are open so there is plenty of natural light coming in. 

Getting colours and textures to match between two different rendering techniques will be a challenge, the standard view uses a simplified lighting technique compared to PBR. A materials colour is the result of the material colour property settings and the properties of the light striking it and reflecting back to the observer. I think it would be best to decide on one or the other rendering techniques and adjust the material colour properties and light settings to achieve the desired look.

Graham, thanks for the feed back and understand where you are coming from, however I am happy to accept one or the other, but the PBR  would/should 

be the priority as this is the ultimate format that I would show to clients, so I still don't understand why I can't get the the PBR to an acceptable colour range 

and forgo any other variation to the SR.

Every time I made changes, the PBR made only very slight modifications to colour tones and basically the base colour still being grey was the dominant

colour, surely this is a glitch in the software and seeing that PBR is the premium format, how can I show clients a total different material colour that is different

on what is required, I can understand variation to colour tones between the two renders, but nor the base colour, ie dark grey versus cream.

Am i asking something that the software can't produce and if so, then this should be looked at by software engineers.     

Graham, initially I tried to send the plan file but its size is too large ( 12MB ) so unless someone can give an alternative path, then I guess this will

end up as a stalemate, I have a presentation tomorrow, so I'll just have to talk my way around the software's deficiencies.

Thanks heaps for your input todate.

Regards Neil.   

Neil,

I believe the upload limit for the forum is 25MB so there should not be an issue.  Be sure to save the plan file as a backup so that the materials are included and close it in Chief.

If it is larger than 25MB it can be put in a zip file or it can be uploaded to your cloud account and then just post the link here. I would be willing to look but Graham can likely provide a solution.

3 hours ago, MarkMc said:

The upload limit changed to 2MB, at least that's what it said yesterday

Maybe CA is trying to get out of the server business. Requiring a link to a file vs. the file attached is probably less taxing on their system. Just guessing of course.

Logged into to support and got the back-up procedure and:-

1.File size too large, Max size allowed is 2MB per file

2.The Back-Up file was saved in WinRAR, which I don't have a license, can this be done at CA's end.

John,

It doesn't really matter how much light you give the area as I have done several attempts on doing this, the base colour is still grey only much lighter whereas

the actual pavings are a creamy/brown tones which are obvious in the SR render.

Here is a STD view and PBR view on a project I ran the other day. As you can see the colours are fairly close between the two views. However you will see for example that the white on the ceiling and the white on the cabinetry is slightly different, this is as would be expected as when PBR'ing the light processing is more complex and things like colour casting will be taken into account.

STD View

871626124_Untitled1STDView.thumb.png.eeeca24c082a2de60e73710855cfc213.png

PBR View

931700046_Untitled1PBR.thumb.png.392b12d31b00e1f88adfbea837ebfa2b.png

Fellas, looking at Johns images above, this actually confirms the issues that I have talking about. 

The above floor finishes have the same base colour with some variation in the PBR showing different tones and reflections according to

the light types and direction, which is exactly what I would be expecting.

I was going to send two more images, but when I looked at these the tones are somewhat similar, which is in stark contrast to the computer

images I did when adding ceiling lighting/camera settings. This is a common problem when trying to compare colours and tonings  generated

across computer, picture and printed material.

I do know, when playing with colours in "Twin Motion" , I get are far better colour representation.

Thanks heaps for all the input todate.                                                                     

On 5/3/2021 at 9:50 AM, NeilofOZ said:

Fellas, looking at Johns images above, this actually confirms the issues that I have talking about. 

The above floor finishes have the same base colour with some variation in the PBR showing different tones and reflections according to

the light types and direction, which is exactly what I would be expecting.

I was going to send two more images, but when I looked at these the tones are somewhat similar, which is in stark contrast to the computer

images I did when adding ceiling lighting/camera settings. This is a common problem when trying to compare colours and tonings  generated

across computer, picture and printed material.

I do know, when playing with colours in "Twin Motion" , I get are far better colour representation.

Thanks heaps for all the input todate.                                                                     

My apologies but I'm having some difficulty in understanding what you are saying here. The two posted pics demonstrate that colours are depicted fairly accurately between the STD camera and the PBR camera. The caveat here is that lighting and material properties need to be properly set, which often involves more than just dropping in a few default lights. Personally, if your ultimate goal is to produce a decent PBR then all of your adjustments need to be done in the PBR camera view, once it looks the way you wish then it's most likely that if you change the camera type to STD view then things will look proper. STD view is too basic and making your changes in STD view will likely result in poor or unexpected PBR results.