wall above stairs where it should not be

SH_Canada

Hi,

I have some stairs coming from the basement into a living room with a vaulted ceiling. unfortunately the stairs come into the room (from the hallway about a foot). And there is now a bumped out wall where there should not be above it. It is outside of the "open to below" stair room. It looks like what is causing this is the railing/doorway that gets created for the stairs to land on. it looks like this invisible railing/doorway wall is getting a wall above it built. changes to the open to below room do not seem to make a difference

below is what it looks like including the view from the attic. On another note, I had to move these stairs to the right a couple feet and now the floor framing will not complete. Not sure if they are related. I can fix manually but it gives me the break automatic build warning. I would like to keep everything autobuilt. Anyone know how to fix that as well?

Thanks

image.thumb.png.20603e1e315edd41808b33228b4b432b.png

image.thumb.png.4d69d15e27094cd2b85ca15329d9504e.png

image.thumb.png.4c80b78576efd8dd22575cb5eef9b78d.png

image.thumb.png.d95d077b188eabe3664137fefe937187.png

The room is defined by the walls so since your room butts into the living area by those 6” or so and it has a flat ceiling it is building the requisite wall to close the ceiling.

I see a few ways to fix this but easiest is probably:

1.) Start by selecting the open below room and unselecting for flat ceiling above.

2.) Then put a flat ceiling plane in the area up to the wall where you want it to stop.

3.)Next go to attic wall above and extend it all the way across.

thanks, I tried but it still does not work. now the layer of drywall comes out, but there is still a wall above it.

In the original post I show a wall clear across in the attic. Is there something different I should be doing in the attic.

Thanks for your help. I spent an hour or so today trying to sort this out...frustrating

image.thumb.png.d4f1e050f16aa2290736a89092fcc548.png

7 minutes ago, jasonN said:

attached

bauman 3.7z

image.thumb.png.fd09a802973d84ba79b93f1c01df8c58.pngTry to follow the steps I gave above closely paying attention to the order.  

Couple of issues with your plan but overall you had drawn two "sloped" ceiling planes not setting them to 0 slope and to the right height, they were also sticking out into the room instead of back where you want them to transition.  Also you had a bunch of "invisible" attic walls where you must have deleted or changed them manually and left remnants there.  I deleted a few that were in the way to get this look.

it seems very finicky. If I adjoin my stair ceiling plane to my vaulted ceiling plane, I get:

image.thumb.png.d48c6e92923573240b44e3ee33bed46b.png

but if I take it back a little bit I get below. I also notice in vector view it shows the line, but in standard view it shows continuous ceiling plan. The ceiling plane is set at the same height as the adjacent room ceiling height, so I assume these lines are just to show. I tried turning off a couple layers but it did not change.

image.thumb.png.a74db891ab86f7187ae2bbabd715bd87.png

I noticed that my sloped ceiling planes were not entirely to the wall, so I adjusted that and now it works with the adjoining ceiling planes

I also played around with the ceiling plane over the hall railing and over the office wall. It did not seem to make a difference.

One last question if I may, where are the ceiling planes supposed to align to for a pitched ceiling, I assume the inside of the wall in order to properly build the truss? on the gable end does it matter? for flat ceiling planes, does it matter if it is next to the wall or overtop?

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it. ...and I have no idea how those manual perpendicular walls were in the attic. I think it was actually the railing drawn on the main floor, before I moved the stairs. I think somehow the 1' of railing was left when I was moving it around, 

The framing is still broken though, any idea on how to fix it? The floor looks fine in non framing view, but the joist does not go the whole way and there is plywood cutting through the joist. I f I try and extend the joist I get the warning that it is an auto build

image.thumb.png.987e8430f0d53f67b2e51d4117293d5e.png

ignore below, it wont delete the screenshot after I posted

image.png

Eric,

Thanks very much for the lesson. Many new  things I learned, the align walls to center was excellent, as I was sitting there using the cntrl key to try and align. The whole move the railing out from the wall and create a room divider, oh my, I sat there before for a while trying to move it only to have it spring back and then give errors if I used the cntrl key. I had given up

room divider instead of leaving the wall, much better way to guarantee the alignment

and the delete floor trick was very helpful.

One thing I noticed was odd is the attic wall rebuilt in the wrong place for you, and then you moved it and got the warning that it was an autobuilt wall, and it will not rebuild. any idea why it rebuilt in the wrong place (when I was fixing it earlier they rebuilt in the correct place)? or maybe a better question, do you have to move autobuilt walls very often? I've been trying to avoid at all costs

thanks again for the great lesson! 

It is all these little tricks that one needs to know

I managed to fix the framing. The issue seems to have occured when I moved the stairs.

Interestingly I discovered this when I ran into another issue. I was trying to move the joist bearing line by using the center object tool. it would not move. I then tried to move it manually, it would move but not to the middle, even if I specified the distance. I ended up deleting it, and then drawing it again(turning off auto build first), then turning auto build on. and the joist then got built all the way across. The plywood (which is part of the stairs) still builds "through" the joist. But at least the joist now goes all the way

On 4/21/2021 at 12:16 PM, jasonN said:

where are the ceiling planes supposed to align to for a pitched ceiling, I assume the inside of the wall in order to properly build the truss? on the gable end does it matter? for flat ceiling planes, does it matter if it is next to the wall or overtop?

Try pulling a cross section that will help you see where the ceiling planes hit with the top plate

1 hour ago, solver said:

Not sure why Chief did not build this one correctly

It seems that I saw that and if I remember right there was another invisible wall that was on manual and was keeping the wall to snapping correctly.