Need Some Roof Help

Evolution

Go to solution Solved by Evolution,

I didn't  think this roof was all that complicated. The first build actually came out looking very good. I wish I had saved a copy of that plan. Then the client wanted more changes. Next build on the roof really screwed up now.

I've attempted several iterations but when I try to manually adjust the quirky valleys everything goes hay wire.

I deleted the roof and drew in some cad line to mark where I think the ridge should be. I've actually had the hands on experience of building so common sense tells me if my main dimension wall to wall on each section of the home are the same, and the main roof pitch is the same, in this case 14/12 and the over hangs are all the same (ceiling height is 10') then the roof shouldn't have the crazy lines the software keeps building.

Hoping one of you roof guru's can help me with this.

I am posting the plan (for about the third or fourth time in this post and most of the other threads I've started).

Appreciate all the help in advance. The clip of the roof full view isn't very good but hopefully you can make out the weird offsets etc.

I need a smooth as possible eve and ridge line and the eye brows over the bump outs should all be the same I would think?

Plan 1a Main Level X6.plan

post-1662-0-10961400-1417731890_thumb.jpg

post-1662-0-23364500-1417731911_thumb.jpg

Posted plan does not match your images.

I have been waiting for the client to decide on the over-all dimensions they wanted for the master areas, and actual finished ceiling heights vs plate height (i.e. 14' plate in most main areas-10' and 9' finished ceiling in some other areas). So, for some reason all the previous "minor" dimension changes caused CRAZY roof iterations when I do auto-rebuild. Hopefully they have finally come to a conclusion with major dimension changes. I have updated the current floor plan with most, of the major dimension changes and as they have provided info, added cabinets etc to suffice for now.

The problem now is, attempting to build the roof (manually) is becoming so frustrating, and time constraints wouldn't normally be a problem if my home computer hadn't crashed, so currently I can only work on it in the office. I have zipped the original back up file of where we started (that is the roof line they want) and added the current updated plan file (that is the CRAZY roof they do not want).

Not sure what the best approach is NOW to build the original manual roof on the current updated floor plan and how to lock it so the roof doesn't change when I add any or change any interior walls.

All help acknowledge and appreciated!

Plan 2R SELECT Main Level X6 Current 12.16.2014.zip

Plan 2 SELECT Main Level BACK UPR original X6 Current.zip

One part is 26' wide and the other is 23' therefore the ridges are different heights.

Yes, I understand that. From experience I know roof's on different sections with varying dimensions will cause differing results, but it should be possible to LIMIT the crazy results to some degree? 

Bob -- I spent a few minutes cleaning up the plan. I'd share it with you but I'm using the trial version of Chief.

Mostly the roof issues are caused by varying ceiling heights. Make them all the same and the roof behaves.

The roof is auto built.

attachicon.gifbob roof 1.jpg

I noticed some other things that may or may not be a problem. Here is one. Notice the horizontal blue line and how the walls along it are not aligned.

attachicon.gif bob roof 2.jpg

Eric, that seems simple enough. My home computer is down so Imwillnhave to wait until I am back in the office tomorrow. I watched the video on lowering the ceiling height while not changing the plate height, but the presenter talked fast and some parts of the vid were not clear. If I ever manage the roof I will have to work on lowering the ceiling without changing the plate height.

Thanks for the help,

I noticed some other things that may or may not be a problem. Here is one. Notice the horizontal blue line and how the walls along it are not aligned.

Eric those walls were lined up! I used a cad line to line them up. I don't know what happened?

Bob, I wouldn't use a CAD line to align walls. It can work but sometimes even a little off will create some nasty results.

If you find you need walls to line up exactly across an opening drag a single wall across the opening and then break it to create the opening. Guaranteed to line up then.

Or use Chiefs wall align snaps that will also get them aligned.

Bob, I wouldn't use a CAD line to align walls. It can work but sometimes even a little off will create some nasty results.

If you find you need walls to line up exactly across an opening drag a single wall across the opening and then break it to create the opening. Guaranteed to line up then.

Or use Chiefs wall align snaps that will also get them aligned.

I haven't learned that tool yet. I will def put that on my things to remember list!

• 4 weeks later...

I have NOT given up on building the roof. After countless changes from the client, finally think things are NAILED down enough the over-all dimensions will no longer change (but there is ALWAYS Murphy's law). I feel the roof is in much better shape now than when I first posted my request for some help. At least for the most part, there are some ridge caps now produced that weren't there before, which If I understand the tutorials and videos I've read and watched over and over mean SOME progress. I do have a roof edge most likely interfering with a wall. I know I still have an issue with the main roof plan east - west lining up and connecting. Some gable ends WHERE THERE and now parts and pieces are missing.

The client came back and added a "circular balcony" and requested the roof also be radius over the balcony rail (I started it, and they said that is what they want) but I haven't had success in getting it modeled correctly) I left some of my last attempt in place, as the ridge line is +/- what they want. 

I think once you open the plan you will see more than just roof issues, however; I continue to work on finding and fixing what I can.

ONE NOTE please, if you wish to help me, I do APPRECIATE it! I know it is UP TO ME to learn the tools and the software and I may have gotten the cart before the horse, at least I AM NOT IGNORANT to that fact already.

If you intend to CRITICIZE and offer SARCASM, well; I appreciate "CONSTRUCTIVE" criticism, but I CAN DO WITHOUT the Sarcasm!!!!

THANKS for anyone who'd like to take me under your wing and offer suggestions aside from "study the user guide" I do that every free moment I can. Watch the GREAT roof tutorials, I have all the good sites saved to favorites on my Ipad, and almost every waking moment I am not performing all my other responsibilities I watch. D Scott Hall's which are some of the best.

I am posting the zipped file which is the very latest. Again, I am tweaking what I can every day.

Thank (each of you) in advance!!!

1.12.2015David Baker Lake House updated KEEP.zip

discounting the unfinished circular roof Bob ,what issues are you seeing? 

I see some wall problems at each end caused by roof plans protruding into the wall ,they need to be dragged back out to the outside of the exterior walls 

ie I pulled these two planes back out to fix the wall

post-315-0-89424400-1421177422_thumb.jpg

Sound would def help. Looks neat but not what they're expecting. I will attempt a sketch tomorrow what they would like.

Thanks k

Kevin!

Kevin "The Moakster"  did a great job with the curved roof,  that is what I was thinking but I think he took it a step further,  thanks K,  if I get a chance I will do a follow up with sound mimicking K's approach but also taking a little bit of a different approach.

Wanted to get the roof to auto build. Still needs some manual fixing.

Maybe this will help a bit, Bob.

I set all the ceiling heights to default, and deleted a bunch of unneeded walls in the attic space. Added some walls in the garage, and a one in the open stairwell.

The curved balcony roof would build, except for the angled wall to the side. You could generate it in a copy of the plan without that angled wall, then copy it and paste hold position into the original plan.

Do the below grade walls need insulation? A 2x wall inside them?

It definitely took on a life of it's own.

Completed roof. Mostly auto built with a bit of manual cleanup.

attachicon.gifbob r4.jpg

Thanks Eric! Certainly looks good from here. Great news, email from Client last night with a laundry list of changes I have to make.

Things like, changing all the windows in the great room lake side, move the fire place at the garage/veranda and add window and arched opening, reconfigure the exterior stairs etc., etc., SO I continue the saga.

What you've done to help is MOST appreciated. At least I know it CAN be done!

Hi David,

Had a quick look at your model, noticed you have roof planes on top of roof planes.

Needs a good clean up and your geometry is all over the place. 

Use you cross section slider and you will how all your roof planes dont intersect, they run over and are short from conecting the intersecting of the adjacent  roof plane.

You can build your framing and see how the geometry is all over the place.

Im no expert on CA though i know how to build a roof and if the geometry is not correct CA cannot make the correct connection.

Giving up is NOT AN OPTION, but after almost 15 straight hours and still no success, I am exhausted. I can't think clearly, but cutting to the chase, I've attached the last updated plan. If any of you have read my other post on differing problems I encountered since my last laundry list of changes from the owner you know I really haven't resolved anything at this point.

I thought I was headed in the right direction after receiving all the great advice, but for some reason after adding the existing summer house to the mix of things, which also required major angle changes between the house, garage, and summer house I have even more issues to deal with. Several have attempted the radius roof over the balcony, the designer finally settle on what she wanted last Friday, and I have only been able to do a free hand CAD sketch trying to convey it. I started it but gave up, since adding the summer house has screwed up the works.

I will call it a night, and start again early in the morning. Dead line for progress plan review is next Tuesday, and I don't have a snow-ball's chance if things don't change.

Good night!

1.17.2015 Exp 2 plan ext stair revision KEEP.zip

post-1662-0-92577900-1421556448_thumb.png

post-1662-0-53213400-1421556462_thumb.png

post-1662-0-30526500-1421556479_thumb.png