External skin walls through roof

Jackstacey

Hi all, My having difficultly finding the correct button to stop the 3rd floor external skin of my external walls going through my roof. I have sourced the baseline for

the roof off the 2nd floor however the external skin of the multi-layed external walls are going through the roof, any help??

Thanks

frontage 4 option.plan

2 additional questions/hints for you (assuming you're purposely starting to model some finished areas up on the 3rd floor):

1.  Did you purposely set a negative Raise Off Plate/Birdsmouth value?

2.  Are you really using brick exterior walls up on the 3rd floor?

You're giving Chief some confusing information.  You're not only saying that the roof is lower than the floor and wall system above but also that you're using brick walls where no walls will exist.

There will be a room in the attic so I need to create the usable space and a tech support at Chief mentioned that creating an attic space is easiest by creating a 3rd floor and take your baseline for the roof from the 2nd floor? Does this explain the points above any clearer? I've corrected the birdsmouth as well (not sure what happened there

Sadly yes it still exists. It's strange that it's not an issue on the right hand side over the different external wall? You may note the floor for the attic space is also protruding out the roof to what looks like it trying to finish at the external skin? 

By the way, read my original post again.  I'm trying to clue you in to something....

17 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

2.  Are you really using brick exterior walls up on the 3rd floor? 

You're giving Chief some confusing information.  You're not only saying that the roof is lower than the floor and wall system above but also that you're using brick walls where no walls will exist.

You can simply change the wall to Invisible which will not only be a more accurate representation of what's actually happening but will also remove the unwanted wall layers that you're having issues with.

Ok.....Solver, you No Room Definition has removed the floor going through the roof to the external walls however the walls still exist.

Thank you both so far...I'm hoping your not out of ideas yet for the external skin

4 minutes ago, solver said:

Make the external walls No Room Definition and create your top floor rooms within the space. 

You can either completely do away with the unnecessary exterior walls or you can finish adding walls and then assign the Attic room type to the appropriate areas.  I personally see no reason to keep the walls and call them No Room Definition though.  If you're doing that, then I can't see any reason why the walls should even be there in the first place. 

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!! Thank you both very much. I did try the invisible wall but the floor remained protruding through the roof so between both solutions the problem is solved.

Thanks again for the quick resolutions.

I'll be in touch with my next issue in due course

• 6 months later...
53 minutes ago, ChiefJeet said:

Oh. Somebody from UK with brick cavity walls!!!!

I don,t know how you have solved this Jack but I have the same problem with walls extending through roof. I don,t have this issue if I create a new plan and build third floor roof ignoring the top floor but on this plan, the walls keeps extending out. I have attached the plan for reference

NewhamptonRdE268 Backup.plan 5.47 MB · 0 downloads

Much better to start your own thread as it will have unique issues.  If you do please help keep the forum clean for future searchers by deleting your post.

I am sure you will get lots of help if you do this courtesy.