Quote 750 sq. ft. ADU in California, start to permit

Eric-ChiefUser

Hello all,

My wife and I are building an ADU on our property in California.  750 sq. ft. two bedroom two bath.  Basic rectangle 22 x 38 footprint, garage on first floor, ADU on second floor.  All electric, stick framing, trusses.

We are looking for a quote for the entire project to permit.  We have the design.

Thank you.

How big is the existing house? Are there plans for it? How big is the property? Are there plans for it? All electric may not work, no credit on electric resistance water heaters, will have to be a heat pump of the sorts or it won’t comply w Energy, how close is the ADU to the home? Is the home existing? How many bathrooms in the existing home? Who’s doing the solar? What jurisdiction?

Thanks for all the replies and pms. 

Property is in the central valley, main house exists (2200 sq ft.) has no fire suppression (adu t/f does not need), main house has solar and we will add a full array on the adu - I am fine with overbuilding solar with batteries and natural gas backup on main house as it's only a matter of time before the PG&E grid collapses.  Electric hybrid water heater (they sell them at Loews), electrical tie in from main house panel, sanitary connection along the main house line.  Property is big enough, I have already met in person with the municipality and gone over their free plans and decided to create our own.  I do not have plans, hence the posts here to have plans created.

23 hours ago, DRAWZILLA said:

don't forget that solar panels are required for a.d.u's in California

Still a ridiculous requirement to me. My own home has only 2-3 hours of direct sun each day until summer. Old growth 100 yr pines keep me shaded. 

1 hour ago, Renerabbitt said:

Still a ridiculous requirement to me. My own home has only 2-3 hours of direct sun each day until summer. Old growth 100 yr pines keep me shaded. 

I think there's an exception for such case where sunlight isn't available.

• Like 1

You can get an exemption for a solar system.  I understand that you have to get someone out there to measure the available sunlight and write a report.  I investigated this a while back and couldn't get any concrete answers.  The owners decided that it was easier just to install the solar system rather than jump through the flaming hoops.

Gotta love California.