Cad detail from view

mulligan

My engineer has requested that I provide a specific detail for a roof beam and bracket that I haven't created in the past.

I have created a CAD detail from a view of the elevation and I would like to add some additional detail components to the specific view without using the entire elevation. I know that I can redude the layout box to whatever area I want, but if I do that it will also my callouts to the layout box.

Is there a way that I can CAD detail from view, then outline the area that I would like the detail for and delete the rest/ Which would then allow me to add callouts.

I know this may sound confusing so I have attached a screed shot of what I would like to accomplish.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Cad details.JPG

I typically handle these types of things 1 of 4 ways depending on the situation:

1. If I want (and am able) to keep the view live I will do as @solver suggested and simply mask it with a filled polyline.  This crops the view, allows for the desired annotations, and is definitely the most desirable approach whenever it can reasonably be applied..
  2. I will create a CAD Detail From View and use the CAD mask there.  Don't think I do this very often though.
  3. I will create a CAD Detail From View and just delete/trim line work as @Chopsaw suggested.  If I'm creating a CAD Detail from View for the purpose then this is usually how I crop things.  I'll write up another post in a minute describing a pretty quick method of speeding this process up.
  4. I will crop and annotate in Layout.  This I also do pretty rarely but its definitely something I do from time to time for various reasons.

FWIW...I would keep this live and model the area like I want it built. Live details and sections are easy to do and you don't end up fighting all those CAD lines.

My layout view...

image.thumb.png.3af690bc9be70c5da9bcbbbd1f3f0136.png

When you click on a detail...

image.thumb.png.b0b8763e91d2983145cb3b6e4306213f.png

Just crop them down on the layout page.

13 hours ago, joey_martin said:

FWIW...I would keep this live and model the area like I want it built. Live d

Joey,

Are you doing this by maintaining the text, leader lines, and background and then placing on each section, for each plan, in lieu of canned CAD blocks? this would mean for each roof pitch, you are adjusting the labels for truss/wall detail?

All my notes, fills, roof pitch markers, etc are in my library. Drag and drop.

EDIT: I will add that. I have "canned details" in my library, but by the time you drop those, explode them so that they can be adapted for the specific project, and then added to the layout page, I can do details just as fast this way and I don't want/need hundreds of details floating around and clogging my library. Faster, for me, to model accurately and drop my notes and fills and move on. I have a 3/4"=1' annotation/layer set so one click, a few drag and drops and detail done.