how are people creating / showing footings below a framed wall in a basement

SH_Canada

Hi all,

For houses with basements there is a need sometimes to have a footing beneath a framed wall within the basement, as it would be a load bearing wall (for instance instead of posts).

I used a pony wall to model this and everything looks good, except that the foundation plan shows the framed wall. This isn't a deal breaker, but it also shows the doors entrances which will be in the framed wall. It looks a bit odd to me as the cribber does not care that there is a framed wall there with two door entries. I tried all of the different display options for the pony wall, but to no avail.

I noticed joey shows his foundation plan this way(with the door openings) in the post:

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/5291-foundations-plans-and-floors/?tab=comments#comment-46068

Ideally I would like to show the foundation plan "for the cribbers" (which is the footings and exterior concrete walls) without showing framed walls (as these are not done by the cribbers). The only way I can think to do this is to put the normal outside foundation wall on a different layer, lets call it "pure foundation wall layer", and dont show the normal foundation wall layer in my foundation plan. I would then put in my foundation layer set this "pure foundation wall layer". This should then show the outside basement walls (as they have to be cribbed) but it would not show the interior framed wall, but would still show the footing.

My question is, is this what people do(framed wall in a basement on a different layer than the outside foundation wall), or do they do as joey shows, or something else? Are people using pony walls for this setup?

below is what I initially did with the pony wall and looks similar to joey's setup. Both walls are on the same layer. Notice the two door breaks in the wall

Thanks

Jason

image.thumb.png.636916d38feab2ff7d5aadad5e6cbb62.png

image.thumb.png.26c80c65e9bad5d342a677e2e32188b0.png

Thanks, I think that answers the question of whether people use a pony wall to model it (answer is no, use an interior wall and set the attribute to "foundation wall")

But I notice I have no such wall layer (walls interior) that he has. My interior walls are defaulted to layer "walls normal" for normal walls, and when I click the "foundation wall" attribute, the layer switched to "walls foundation". so back to the same problem

...but this is better option because I can just change this wall to the "walls normal" and everything looks great. i.e. these types of walls are certainly drawn a lot less than foundation walls, so I like this option to change only this wall to a different layer

merci!

Just now, solver said:

I changed my interior wall defaults to new layer -- Walls, Interior. This changes a few things about how the program works. 

Mostly done so I could easily select only interior walls, or only exterior walls.

I can see why that is a very good idea. I have a few things I want to setup. texting by layer/view, dimension by layer/view. right now I change the text layers manually (or copy from previous plans) and I'm not liking my lack of organization