How to copy a cad detail to another cad detail.

Chopsaw

Just now, Rpadge said:

are you using paste in place? not sure if it makes a difference, but it might

I can't get past or paste in place to work and to be honest I think it might be the first time I have use the new copy function so I wanted to be sure I was doing it correctly since the help manual is a little light on details.

" • To create an exact copy of an existing CAD Detail, select it and click the Copy button. "

But that make it seem pretty straight forward.

Just now, Alaskan_Son said:

I see now.  Yes.  I can definitely reproduce that.  Looks like the dimensions stay associated with the original objects.  You should report it.

I did, but wanted to be sure that I had not gone mad.:angry:   Thank you for verifying that for me.

Just now, Chopsaw said:

wanted to be sure that I had not gone mad.

Oh I didn't say that.  Just said I could reproduce :) 

Kinda fun actually adjusting an object in one view and watching the dimensions adjust in another.  Not very helpful in this case though.  You can do this with roof planes too by the way.  Attach a text arrow to one and then Display on Floor Above/Below.  If you adjust roof plane on the new floor it affects the original arrow on the original floor.  We can also get a similar behavior when dimensioning to wall framing. Oh, and also for room macros in CAD Details.  Open a CAD Detail in a plan with defined rooms and you'll see that %room% macros reflect information from the actual plan view based on current room information located in that same X/Y area.  The latter has some obvious benefits.  The others less so.  The one you've shown though seems to have no benefits at all. 

8 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Kinda fun actually adjusting an object in one view and watching the dimensions adjust in another.  Not very helpful in this case though. 

That seems to pretty well defeat the purpose of a cad detail at least when you use the copy feature. :(

26 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

or place the cad detail in your lib. and get it anytime you want to.

And wouldn't it be nice if when you place a cad detail from the library that an option to keep the original default and layer settings would be available?

2 hours ago, DRAWZILLA said:

or place the cad detail in your lib. and get it anytime you want to.

1 hour ago, robdyck said:

And wouldn't it be nice if when you place a cad detail from the library that an option to keep the original default and layer settings would be available?

Just to be clear here,  this conversation was mostly about CAD Details and not CAD Blocks.  CAD Details are stored in the Project Browser and can alternatively be managed via CAD Detail Management.  CAD Details cannot be stored in the library.  CAD Blocks on the other hand can be stored in the library and are managed via CAD Block Management.  They are 2 entirely different things with different purposes.  The issue Chopsaw pointed out is an issue with copied CAD Details

8 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Just to be clear here,  this conversation was mostly about CAD Details and not CAD Blocks.  CAD Details are stored in the Project Browser and can alternatively be managed via CAD Detail Management.  CAD Details cannot be stored in the library.  CAD Blocks on the other hand can be stored in the library and are managed via CAD Block Management.  They are 2 entirely different things with different purposes.  The issue Chopsaw pointed out is an issue with copied CAD Details

already knew all that ,all I'm trying to say is an easy way to copy a cad detail for future use, just forgot to say block it first. I have thousands of details in my lib. Never a problem

3 hours ago, DRAWZILLA said:

all I'm trying to say is an easy way to copy a cad detail for future use, just forgot to say block it first. I have thousands of details in my lib. Never a problem

I agree absolutely, in my work flow any CAD detail that can be re-used in another plan is blocked, labeled and stored in the library

15 minutes ago, CAmichael240114 said:

I agree absolutely, in my work flow any CAD detail that can be re-used in another plan is blocked, labeled and stored in the library

I feel like you guys are missing the point, changing the subject, and confusing matters.  We all know that we can store CAD Blocks in the library and that those CAD Blocks can sometimes be referred to as CAD details.  What we're talking about though is very specifically the CAD Detail TOOL and what happens when you try to copy one of those CAD Details. Has nothing to do with storing anything in the library or the efficiency of doing so.