Soffit Material parrallel to rafters

DougDM

Good day all, hope your all keeping safe.    A soffit material issue,   Without duplicating a roof plane, using a solid, etc. etc. (i.e a work-around)  I know I have to make a copy of the material and change it's angle,  I can of coarse create a thin solid skin, move it into position and apply the correct material. Just wondering if there is a setting somewhere that will do this by default. in other words Perp. to rafters at the gable ends. Even with boxed eves it's wrong. Obviously if I change it for gable ends it's wrong at the eves.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  It's primarily for rendering purposes, I see it, I know the customer will also and question it.  Believe it or not, I've actually have seen siding guys run it the way CA does. 

Thanks,

Doug918646598_SoffitMaterialwrong2021-04-14_11-37-08.thumb.jpg.6ecdaa48c0a89e563a11892e3bfc275b.jpg

6 minutes ago, DougDM said:

Good day all, hope your all keeping safe.    A soffit material issue,   Without duplicating a roof plane, using a solid, etc. etc. (i.e a work-around)  I know I have to make a copy of the material and change it's angle,  I can of coarse create a thin solid skin, move it into position and apply the correct material. Just wondering if there is a setting somewhere that will do this by default. in other words Perp. to rafters at the gable ends. Even with boxed eves it's wrong. Obviously if I change it for gable ends it's wrong at the eves.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  It's primarily for rendering purposes, I see it, I know the customer will also and question it.  Believe it or not, I've actually have seen siding guys run it the way CA does. 

Thanks,

Doug918646598_SoffitMaterialwrong2021-04-14_11-37-08.thumb.jpg.6ecdaa48c0a89e563a11892e3bfc275b.jpg

I'm not sure if this is reasonable, but the simplest solution I've found (it still sucks) is to use a shadow board at gables. You can specify a molding and it's offsets so it just covers the existing soffit, and give it a copy of the soffit material, rotated 90 degrees. There will still be some issues almost cetainly.

A few other fairly quick options

1. use a molding polyline around the exterior of the house for eave soffits. These can turned off on an edge-by-edge basis
  2. use a 3d molding at gables drawn in a section view that faces the gable end, but cuts the roof plane (for the snap points).

38 minutes ago, DougDM said:

Just wondering if there is a setting somewhere that will do this by default

Just make a copy of your soffit material and then open that copy and reverse the direction.

(so you have two identical materials differing only in orientation)

Use the paint tool to apply the appropriate material in the direction you want.

Just like you do with risers and steps etc...

29 minutes ago, Michael_Gia said:

Just make a copy of your soffit material and then open that copy and reverse the direction.

(so you have two identical materials differing only in orientation)

Use the paint tool to apply the appropriate material in the direction you want.

Umm, I don't think this works...almost all gable roof planes also have an eave and this is where we want the soffit going in opposite directions, right? Or am I missing something Michael?

9 minutes ago, solver said:

No, and it would make a good suggestion.

The problem with workarounds is the miter when you have a gable roof.

Yup, you hit the problem on the head, especially in this case where you have a sort of upside down hip roof where the plane is following the rafters, This isn't a boxed eve so all the intersection are in a sense an inverted hip roof.  Figuring the angle is easy, I was thinking while in plan view make a poly-line rectangle with and angle as if I were cutting a hip rafter, Then convert to a solid, then from a section view rotate it to match pitch of roof, then back in plan view, slide it into place and make it the new material Beadboard at 90° to original. A pain but it could work. Where there is a boxed eve it's just an extruded / rotated solid.  Maybe I will submit it, It could be something similar to the Shadow Board Eve Only, Gable Only or Both options. Eve Soffit, Gable soffit options, Perpendicular to rafters or parallel. Thanks for your input.

Doug

13 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Umm, I don't think this works...almost all gable roof planes also have an eave and this is where we want the soffit going in opposite directions, right? Or am I missing something Michael?

1 hour ago, robdyck said:

A few other fairly quick options

1. use a molding polyline around the exterior of the house for eave soffits. These can turned off on an edge-by-edge basis
  2. use a 3d molding at gables drawn in a section view that faces the gable end, but cuts the roof plane (for the snap points).

!. How will that give me the angle of the roof, that would work for a flat (Eve) soffit.  Just lift it up to the correct elevation. Doesn't do much for up in the gables where the problems come up.

2. Yeah I did that with a flat panel solid, remember this is not boxed eves, well not all of them that is. Your way works for square ends, Not a compound angle.  That's where the problems arises.  As I mentioned in another comment to Solver.  It's doable, just looking for an easier way.

Thanks,

24 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Yes sir, you are correct, all one plane. If the eve and gable were two separate surfaces in the same plane, then it would work.

1 hour ago, robdyck said:

I'm not sure if this is reasonable, but the simplest solution I've found (it still sucks) is to use a shadow board at gables. You can specify a molding and it's offsets so it just covers the existing soffit, and give it a copy of the soffit material, rotated 90 degrees. There will still be some issues almost cetainly.

Seems to move the Rake board (gable fascia board) with the offset. Sorry bout the quotes, everyone calls it something different across the country. Shadow board, I call it rake molding since it's going on the rake board/Gable Fascia  LOL

30 minutes ago, solver said:

I've suggested ceiling planes in the past. They come in at the correct slope and can be joined at a 45 in the corner.

ct1.thumb.png.920734548d8bbf21abaa67926775520a.png

Yeah that would work, but with a flat ceiling or even a vaulted ceiling, But will it run up a rafter with a flat ceiling?  Going to give it a try. Is the ceiling vaulted in your example??

2 hours ago, robdyck said:

almost all gable roof planes also have an eave and this is where we want the soffit going in opposite directions, right?

I stand corrected.  I never realized that this wouldn't work for a gable roof, only Hips. 

I spoke too soon.

43 minutes ago, Michael_Gia said:

I stand corrected.  I never realized that this wouldn't work for a gable roof, only Hips. 

I spoke too soon.

No problem, it had hope. I tried and yes, works with hips only. , I think I have a solution which I’ll give it a shot tomorrow. I’ll post if I’m successful. Thanks again.

Sooooo I finally accomplished it.  Not worth the effort though. I think it turned into a " I'm not going to let it beat me type of thing"   Took about 1/2 hour to get it right and into position. Basically I did as I mentioned, First I made a poly line rectangle as as if were cutting an actual valley rafter (to get the correct angle) in the field on a pair of horses, (no I didn't draw the horses LOL) but without plum cuts or a birds mouth. Then made a solid 3/8" thick... Then in a elevation /section view I rotated it to match the 5 in 12 pitch, and nudged it into place. I had to keep it a bout 1/32" proud of the auto generated soffit otherwise it was consumed. Added the rotated Beadboard material. It was much easier for the straight runs up the gables where boxed eves were involved, No angles to contend with like in the attached picture.  Thanks for all the suggestions and hopefully this will get into next X14 upgrade as an option.  As I was doing this I kept thinking it could be an option in so many places, perhaps where outriggers are used for fly rafters if there is a way they can separate gables from eves. Anyway, on the my next query....

Thanks,

Doug1635668321_SoffitMaterialCorrect2021-04-16.thumb.jpg.8cb3eceb9262f0d3e855a912bb426b17.jpg