Latest Chief version, previous chief plans

Designer1

What is the best way to enjoy all the new features of the latest Chief version but while Im working on older plans completed in older chief versions?  My issue is if I open a plan completed in lets say X8 and open in X12 it tends not to have all the latest defaults etc.  Yet if I open a crisp fresh new plan in X12 I noticed defaults and features are all there.  I use to copy and paste entire plans in the newest version but then all the ceiling heights and just about everything else looked wonky and took me forever to get it to look normal again.  

Any recommendations on how I can do this easier then the copy paste method?

Export default sets from a plan with ones you want then import for anmotations. Import plan views from a current plan.  Selectively import other defaults you want-camera, OIP, ...macros I keep exported ones on a folder to bring in as meeded.

Thank you all for the replies.

Yes Ive tried most of those processes but each one tends to have their own problems.  The save the old plan in X12 doesnt always give you the latest functions of X12 that a brand new crisp X12 plan does, not sure why.  I also tried to move defaults forward but have noticed that depending on what chief plan from yesteryear I started the plan in all the functions dont always work.  I guess thats why in a recent migrating video from chief they said dont migrate toolbars etc because you wont get the functionality of the latest version bringing old stuff forward.

Mark I havent tried the macros or other smaller defaults maybe that might change something.  Right now the only new new vibe I get from my plans is when I do the Copy paste entire plan into a fresh copy of the latest version but its a lot of work making adjustments.  I noticed even when I am completely finished with a plan all the way down to the landscaping sometimes when I open that finished plan up in chiefs latest version you can see how things changed.  For instance the plants or flower beds will be floating a foot off the ground and even when I dont copy paste into a new plan it will still require adjusting.  I wish Chief could develop a way to make the plans once completed stay finished looking even when opening in new versions.  its kind of embarrassing to open a plan you thought was polished and complete only to have people look at plants and flowerbeds floating off the ground haha.

I will keep trying new methods and maybe I can come up with a better result when I try something different.  Thanks for all your ideas, replies and help!

Hi Eric,

The only way to describe it is like migrating forward old toolbars and the functions of the new version arent working totally.  Like the example I used above with having a completely finished and polished plan and opening it in the latest version to have landscape floating and other oddities.  Most the time I dont even make adjustments to those types of things in my template plans anyways so Im not sure why they change everything.

So really Im talking about two things.... wanting old completed chief plans to be able to be viewed in the latest version and stay looking finished not needing adjustments. I wish there was a complete button I could press that would keep the finished and complete project from changing when open in new versions.

Second, would be opening unfinished older plans in newer versions but still not having everything work like a crisp new out of the box plan would.  A small example I could think of off the top of my head was the section story pole dimensioning even the names have changed to T.O.P. from top of wall.  These are examples of little things but can get numerous.  Like I said theres a way I get around that which is copy/paste entire plan but with that method theres a lot of adjusting.  I was just looking for an easier way that wouldnt be as time consuming.