Terrain through house

bjp2022

Hello,

I have an odd glitch or error that is driving me nuts.  When I change my material type or wall types on the home I am working on the terrain will no longer generate correctly.  Its like the house is not there.  From the image attached below you can see the terrain is now inside my house.  The file is too large to attach, but I am hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction.  I have tried deleting the terrain and add it back in, but it does not seem to work.  Its as if the house perimeter that defines the area for the program to cut the terrain is gone.

Thanks

Untitled 1.jpg

The terrain hole works as a solution.  It would take me a bit of time to reduce the file size down.  I have a feeling for some reason the program is just not autogenerating the terrain hole for the house.

Thanks for our assistance.

Sorry I had to step away for an issue that came up. I was able to reduce the size by zipping it (took a long time to upload, 30min!!).  Note the file I attached has a terrain hole in it, but if you delete it (its on the terrain features layer).

The elevation data is on terrain elevation data and in the 3d view the terrain is on terrain perimeter (which was the default from the program).

Upload failed and did not get notification until after.  Going to attempt again..

This is just an FYI for those that are interested...

Sometimes when you have terrain generating inside the building it is because your walls are not properly connected or one or more of them is marked as No Room Definition.  Fixing these problems will often correct the problem with the terrain.

The program is not always going to be able to handle every possible situation and might not cut the terrain hole exactly the way you want it to.  In these situations creating your own manual terrain hole is usually the easiest way to solve the problem.  If you select the terrain perimeter, you can use the "Make Terrain Hole Around Building" tool to generate the default hole and then edit the shape as needed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

When i was looking at your file i noticed you had terrain data on top of terrain data there is a elevation  region in front of garage if you keep the elevation region and remove the elevation lines in the same space as  your elevation region buy doing a complete break and deleting the over lapping data your  terrain will behave much better you should never have multiple elevation data in the same space

Hey Mark,  yes I agree.  Based on reading some of the forms most people recommend the same.  Right now its seems to be working out OK for my purposes, but I may have to clean it up if things start to act up again.  Just creating a terrain hole for the house and garage cleaned it up.

Thanks again!

On 4/3/2021 at 8:03 PM, Dermot said:

If you select the terrain perimeter, you can use the Make Terrain Hole Around Building tool to generate the default hole and then edit the shape as needed.

Thanks for this nugget - I didn't know that tool existed. I always use manual terrain holes to fine-tune things, and this tool will save some time.