How Long To Complete A Set Of Plans

dbkb0227

Hello Everybody! I use CA X12 Premier. I was just curious to see how long it takes other people to do a set of plans with CA for a typical 2500 2-story house, 3-car garage, including foundation plan, first floor plan with window schedule, second floor plan with window schedule, basic roof plan, elevations, 2 building sections, and a basic electrical plan to meet code. A basic complete set to build from starting with a sketch from a client. No interior elevations, no other details. I think about 32 hours is a fair expectation. Thank you for your time and help!

• Upvote 1

I’m all over the board on this type of thing.  Complete creative control, basic cracker box, no frills, on a flat lot?  Possibly before lunch. Complex sloped lot, a super particular client, and a lot of little custom details?  Very easy to spend a full week or more.  

32 hours sounds completely reasonable to me though for what you roughly described.

• Upvote 1

Agree with all of the above-

30-40 hrs for a house as originally described if all information is provide in a timely fashion.

Ie. survey info and HOA requirements etc....

I have it in my design agreement that I can facilitate coordination with surveyor or download HOA info if available but not my job to hunt down that stuff if not readily available.

All time spent confirming site info is billed at additional hourly rate.

Transposing structural engineering can be included or as an hourly charge depending if they use my recommended engineer or one of their choosing.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, rwdozier said:

OR.... pertaining to house prices - what is the price per ft²?

For sure-

I describe it to clients like this -

If you have 3 toiles in a house at 200.00 each =600.00

those toilets in a 2000 sq.ft. hosue = .30 a foot

In a 3000 sq.ft. house = .20

Or a 33% price swing.

In short not all sq.ft. is created equal.

1 minute ago, Gawdzira said:

What does a typical house look like? Is this a single level ranch or a possible design by Bruce Goff?

funny you mention Bruce Goff,  one of my favorites.

I do between 50 and 100 remodels each year.  Including a 4 hour site measure,  most AS-BUILTS come in around 12-16 hours sans details,  electric plans and all the BS paper work we in California need to complete.  So this includes site plan ,  elevations,  roof plan,  floor plans,  demo plan,  8 sections,  framing plans,  foundation plan and a round of golf.  CA is truly an amazing program for the type of work I do.  

Hence this necessitated a 20% increase in hourly rate this year.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, dshall said:

funny you mention Bruce Goff,  one of my favorites.

I do between 50 and 100 remodels each year.  Including a 4 hour site measure,  most AS-BUILTS come in around 12-16 hours sans details,  electric plans and all the BS paper work we in California need to complete.  So this includes site plan ,  elevations,  roof plan,  floor plans,  demo plan,  8 sections,  framing plans,  foundation plan and a round of golf.  CA is truly an amazing program for the type of work I do.  

Hence this necessitated a 20% increase in hourly rate this year.

That 20% buys a lot of ProV1's :P