Set default fill colors for framing members in plan display

Larry_Sweeney

Like the title says. I would like to change the default fill colors for some framing members in plan display. Such as making the sill plates a light green. Looked through the Defaults and did a search, but came up with nothing. Oh, one other thing, which isn't really to do with the title. Every time I go to write a thread the default color is grey. Is there a default setting for that? I know it use to be black. I don't know why or how it go changed. As always, any and all help much appreciated.

Chris...……………..Thanks for verifying. That's the conclusion I came up with. When I have a lot going on with floor framing in plan view it's helpful (at least to me) to show the framing members with different fill colors. I'm sure it won't do any good, but I'll put it in the "Suggestion Box". Thanks for your time. Have a great day.

1 hour ago, Larry_Sweeney said:

Chris...……………..Thanks for verifying

Larry, after seeing your suggestion I learned there are a lot more places to set fill defaults, my reply wasn't right, but those other settings aren't very obvious. Ah Chief, always more to learn :P 

I posted that because I never knew how to select the sill plate, and that's the only way I know to make it green in plan view

Maybe there's a way to do that too, besides my method....

20 hours ago, Larry_Sweeney said:

Like the title says. I would like to change the default fill colors for some framing members in plan display. Such as making the sill plates a light green. Looked through the Defaults and did a search, but came up with nothing.

18 hours ago, Chrisb222 said:

You can specify a default fill but it's adopted by all framing members

I use a similar approach for my roof and floor framing plans. The trick is to use a fill with 'Use Layer Color' checked. Then you can change the colors of the layers to control the fill. I created extra layers to get more color control.

image.thumb.png.66995ccaefe50c8e2ff3604d9d670c11.pngimage.thumb.png.5df180422db3e1ea3a2d7b18bdacb82f.png

One slight drawback to this method is that the edge lines will also be the same color if the 'By Layer' is checked under the Line Style tab. I'm okay with that, but if you aren't, you could always uncheck 'By Layer' and pick black I guess.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, dshall said:

Interesting. you are showing plywood on the roof....  I am assuming you put that in manually?

I thought if the OP needs to show framing members in different colors that he might like to know there’s software out there that does that stuff automatically and also lays out the lumber and roof sheathing to optimize your lumber package.

With the current price of lumber, this lumber optimization could be the ticket to getting the job...

I have used the full version since the mid 90’s and figured the software paid for itself on the first job by reducing my waste factor... plus I caught one of my framing contractors “borrowing” lumber from my jobs to build storage sheds on the side.

Here’s the link if anyone is interested:

https://digitalcanal.com/products/framing-pro/

I normally just select item in the corresponding plan view and use match properties to select all that are relevant. in your case click sill plate match properties and under layer to group by that. Once open you can select a fill colour and all get modified at same time. Time consuming but works. 

If you update framing after your changes would disappear as a word of caution, so once framing is set would be best time to do it.

Okay this conversation has revealed some obscure techniques, thank you to all for sharing

It just reinforces my desire, though, to have Fill settings on ALDO so we can control line and fill colors independently, on a per-layer basis

Made a Suggestion about it a while back which included Arrows but Fill would be much more useful for me: