BLOCKING UP AN EXISTING WINDOW

mtldesigns

Hey Chiefer's...

I have a existing 8" CMU wall with windows that will be filled in with wood frame and drywall.  This wall is now a interior wall.  How do you go about doing this, and maintaining the openings for construction docs and details?  

Likely a few ways that could be done but the issue is you need to maintain an opening as well as framing.

Maybe try building a wall with all the elements you need and convert it to a fixture > Inserts into wall.

Or make your existing window a frameless passthrough and fill the hole with p-solids.

16 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Or make your existing window a frameless passthrough and fill the hole with p-solids.

You might be onto something here.  So you thing filling the void with a material region might work?  So I can set the definitions of the wall layers?  I'm going to try... stay tuned..

..nope.. just will poly this with diff layers for the materials.  

Try using the frameless Passthrough, but instead of using  a Material Region to fill the opening, use a wall, just as you would build it in RL.

Draw another wall of the same wall type off to the side.

Mark it No Room Definition - this allows it to be placed in the same location as the main wall.

Make it the same width and height as the opening.

Drag it into position to fill the wall opening, it should snap into position in the main wall.

Adjust size if required.

It will auto frame.

If you need to rebuild framing elsewhere but want this infill framing to remain as is, check Retain Wall Framing. 

Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 1.51.24 pm.jpg

• Upvote 1

Ah, I just re-read your OP.

I missed the CMU wall and used a framed wall instead.

It should still work

I will do another and repost with a pic and any changes.

I assume you will have 2 layers of framing for the opening in the 8" wall?

Or would you use 8" framing?

Doable with either a double stud wall or single thickness stud wall.

I used a "placeholder" symbol with Inserts Into Wall, and used that for my wall opening.

This pic has the plasterboard lining deleted using the Delete Surfaces tool. 

Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 5.03.35 pm.jpg