Grout Joint Width In Substance Player

RobUSMC

Can anyone tell me what Im doing wrong.  In SP I set the grout joint width extremely narrow. (0.001) and have played with this setting a lot.  However when I import the newly made tile into Chief and change the Texture scale to get the tile from a very small tile ( probably 1 x 2  X= 20  Y = 20  to the 4 x 12  X = 60  Y = 60)  I am needing the grout joint is huge.  I realize when I change the scale everything will enlarge but with such an extremely narrow grout joint to start width the edited width should only be 1/8" at the most but in camera view it looks like at least 1/2".  Any help of what Im doing wrong.  Thanks

Grout Joint Setting In SP.png

Grout Joint 1.png

Scale Change.png

Rob I think you need to make one little change.  I did not take it all the way through to chief but it seems to show the results right in the Substance Player 3D View that you are looking for.

image.thumb.png.be56eee2955109a56bf5e115eb70e8dd.png

If it gets unruly in chief maybe drop Dustin a note and he could create another shape for textures that are not random. ( Chevron - Large )

Thanks Chopsaw.     I assume you were referring to changing the image output size.  I watched one of Dustin's videos and I thought he had said you don't really have to adjust the output.  Mine was set to the default 512.  When I changed it to 2048 x 2048 and brought it into Chief it is ALOT better.  Thanks

Output 2048 x 2048.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

You guys figured it out.  Sorry for the late reply, I'm on vacation. 

The grout thickness is indeed limited to the overall texture size in substance player since we need at least three pixels to make the most basic groove (preferably more) and on a layout of 10 tiles, that's 30 pixels.  A 512x512 image gets you 512-30 = 482.  So 482 pixels left to cover 10 tiles gets you 48.2 pixels per tile, which isn't a lot when scaled across some of the larger format tile layouts.

So if our simple groove of a downward sloping pixel, a flat pixel, and an upward sloping pixel "\_/" can't be any smaller than 3 pixels, and if you have 512 pixels for the whole image, the grout line can only be so thin, no matter what the grout slider is set at.  Increasing the pixel count up to 1024 or 2048 gives you a lot more play with the grout slider since you have more pixels to play with and the ratio of 3pxl grout to 48.2pxl tile is a lot clunkier than 3pxl to 201.8pxl (at 2048x2048.)

So more pixels gets you thinner grout and sharper detail on your tile (and cleaner edges on non square tiles btw) but larger files takes more memory so just be aware of this and try not to flood your plans with high res maps everywhere, just where you need it.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, CADustin said:

So if our simple groove of a downward sloping pixel, a flat pixel, and an upward sloping pixel "\_/" can't be any smaller than 3 pixels, and if you have 512 pixels for the whole image, the grout line can only be so thin, no matter what the grout slider is set at.  Increasing the pixel count up to 1024 or 2048 gives you a lot more play with the grout slider since you have more pixels to play with and the ratio of 3pxl grout to 48.2pxl tile is a lot clunkier than 3pxl to 201.8pxl (at 2048x2048.)

Dustin, thanks for the explanation. And Rob, thanks for asking the question.