Exporting view as PDF in various resolutions

Elliot

I often export views as pdf for my clients to review as I design a project.  Typically various 3d views of the kitchen, bath, or addition.  When in the export pdf screen there is a drop down to select the resolution for the pdf.  I just conducted a test because I wondered if the file size would get too large if I saved the views with a higher resolution.  So I saved the same exact view at the default 600, then also 1200 and 4000.  Then I looked to see the three pdf's and they all looked exactly the same. no change in clarity of the image or depth of color. So I check the file size and all three were just about the same 444KB.  So am I misunderstanding something here, or is Chief just not saving the pdf at different resolutions regardless of what I select on the dropdown menu? 

thanks for the help.  

(I just cannot wait till Chief 13 is released!) 

Interesting observation.  It seems you are correct but I had not noticed because I usually export JPG for images.  It must just be programming as it does not seem to be tied to screen resolution because it does work in plan view however if you try to export a PNG or JPG from plan view you have no control over the resolution even though the DBX would seem to suggest that you do. ;)

If you don't get a good answer here it might be a good question for Chief.  It sure is confusing at times.

Chris

thanks that makes sense.  So the higher dpi is probably not  a bad idea because if the client is looking at the pdf on their phone it might make it easier to see the whole image on a small screen. I was always hesitant to use the higher dpi because I thought the file size would be prohibitively huge.  Now I know

Appreciate the help

1 hour ago, Elliot said:

Chris

thanks that makes sense.  So the higher dpi is probably not  a bad idea because if the client is looking at the pdf on their phone it might make it easier to see the whole image on a small screen. I was always hesitant to use the higher dpi because I thought the file size would be prohibitively huge.  Now I know

Appreciate the help

Sorry but I don't think what Chirs is talking about applies to the PDF files in this situation.

@Elliot I can tell you with certainty, that higher DPI makes file sizes way larger on my computer. If you're not experiencing that, then great! Like you mentioned, the extra clarity is helpful for smaller devices. I would however just suggest keeping any eye on those file sizes to see if you start to notice any changes. And FWIW, I've found that anything over 600 isn't necessary on a pdf...that's just my opinion / experience.

Don't pay any attention to me today!

3 minutes ago, robdyck said:

I can tell you with certainty, that higher DPI makes file sizes way larger on my computer. If you're not experiencing that, then great!

Rob are you saying that this happens for you when creating PDF's from a camera view ?   This is an important part of the discussion since the behavior is not the same as in plan views.

3 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Rob are you saying that this happens for you when creating PDF's from a camera view ?   This is an important part of the discussion since the behavior is not the same as in plan views.

I believe what I'm trying to say is that I don't always read the post very closely! Geez...tired eyes.

I think from the tests it's clear that Chief isn't actually producing a different quality pdf from a camera view based on the dpi  setting.

Here I have imported a high resolution picture into Layout:

72 DPI .pdf file printed from Layout ---->  36 KB:

286129748_36DPI.thumb.png.6aed97b9e5a9a7be10e207399cb6bc47.png

4,000 DPI .pdf printed from Layout ---->  1,894 KB:

849261750_4000DPI.thumb.png.898610f27222bae5109deff2a2efd2cd.png

Here I have exported a PDF directly from the camera view:

72 DPI .pdf file exported from camera view ---->  170 KB:

1954555662_72DPI2.thumb.png.502c5007979d0a1cf36c44ffb8657086.png

4,000 DPI .pdf file exported from camera view ---->  392 KB:

2068396065_4000DPI2.thumb.png.b071ec634f7c42831377b1ebdce698b2.png

Here I have exported a Picture directly from the camera view at only 72 pixels per inch but I increased the image size to 8,000 pixels wide:

72 DPI picture file exported from camera view ---->  1,509 KB:

last.thumb.png.ca5f4bf864d5b92d376a2373f763a407.png

When you print to pdf from layout, your max dpi output is going to hit a ceiling at the max dpi of any pictures or pdf files you have in your layout.  When you export a pdf or picture file from your camera view, I believe your max dpi output is limited by your current screen resolution.  If you export a picture at a larger size, you essentially get a higher resolution image when the image is printed at a smaller size because all those pixels are crammed down into a smaller area. 

Bottom line is that the output quality, resolution, and file size is going to be directly related to image quality you are giving Chief to work with in the first place.  If you give Chief a 1"x1" screen or picture with 72 total pixels and then tell it to generate a 4,000 dpi pdf its not going to change the image quality at all.  If on the other hand though you give Chief a 1"x1" screen or picture with 4,000 total pixels and then tell it to generate a 72 dpi pdf, you're going to get a drastically pixelated image since you'll no longer have all 4,000 pixels to work with. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alaskan_Son said:

4,000 DPI .pdf file exported from camera view ---->  392 KB:

2068396065_4000DPI2.thumb.png.b071ec634f7c42831377b1ebdce698b2.png

So this appears to be a slight improvement over the previous 72 dpi export.   Are you exporting from a 96 dpi resolution screen ?