Room Definition

BruceKC

Is it possible to use a polyline or some other method than walls or room dividers to define a room?  When I put an invisible wall next to a rail and label the enclosed area "Open Below", the invisible wall covers up part of the opening in plan view and that doesn't look very good.  thanks all.

1 hour ago, BruceKC said:

Here is the plan view and the 3d overview

room definition overview.jpg

room definition plan view.jpg

Yeah you need a really thin room divider wall there. You can't make it 0" but you can make it .01" the program will show it as 0 but it will work

Then line it up right over the edge of the stairs, put it on its own layer, make the line style and weight for that layer the same as your stairs, and tun off the other Invisible Walls layer

2 minutes ago, BruceKC said:

Thanks!  I'll give that a shot, I really appreciate it!

Sure. I used to struggle with showing the top line of the stairs for that reason. Even with a thin wall if you turn off display of invisible walls it still covers the stair line. If you move the wall out a fuzz it throws the model off. I started doing this trick and it works great, and keeps the 3D intact.

Hey everyone, thanks so much for your help.  I didn't use create stairwell, I defined it with walls and labeled the inner space as "Open Below", so maybe I should investigate the create stairwell next time?  Sorry for all my questions, we're just trying to migrate from Autocad Architecture to X12.  We originally bought X12 just to use it to create 3D renderings of the front elevation, but once we started looking at the program, we were kind of "blown away" with all the improvements (We had X1).  So now, we're trying to learn as much as we can as quickly as we can.  We're also amazed at Chief support, and even moreso with the users like all of you who have jumped in to help.  It's been an amazing start for us thanks to all of you.

Just to help clarify...The Auto Stairwell tool is a good tool and can be used to help speed up the process, but it just places walls for you and automatically defines the Room as Open Below.  Again, it’s still places walls/railings and defines a room so it’s not doing anything you can’t manually do yourself.  It looks like maybe you’re just missing a wall as Eric alluded to.