I was complaining about X6 being slow.

Kiwideziner

I had been complaining about X6 being slower than X5. However due to a computer crash, I took the oppertunity to put my C: onto a SSD 256Gb drive.

It has increased my windows experience from 5.9 to 7.4, this is a 2-1/2 year old system. But the good news is it has significantly increased the speed of X6.

I still have my files on a std drive, so initial acess is still slow, but if I can work on a particular file for a period of time the speed increase is really noticable.

A $250 investment that has probably increased the life of this computer another year. I would normally upgrade about every 2 years.

Graeme......This is something I'm going to have to look into. I think I have a fairly decent system, but lately I've noticed a slow down in X6. I've been working on a couple of projects where one is over 25 meg. and the other is over 40 meg. The slowness at times is getting to be quite a pain. It seems especially slow in views where I'm adding my "fills" (cad work) in my sections I'm detailing. I'm not a computer techy by any means. but you mention the SSD drive you purchased. When looking for a good fast drive, what are the things to look for? My computer is 2 yrs. old also, If I could get another year out of it I would be a happy camper.

I have used several Samsungs (the Pro series) and have been quite happy.

I just recently replaced a 256GB unit with a 512GB unit as I was running out of space. I used to just put stuff on my hard drive but I have gotten spoiled with the speed of the SSD - thus the upgrade.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=samsung+ssd&N=-1&isNodeId=1

For me buying a new PC, or upgrading this 2012 Samsung, every time I upgrade software is not an option. I didn't need to do it when I upgraded from Adobe CS3.3 > CS6 or from Office 2003 - 2013 and I don't see (especially given the relatively small incremental improvements between X5 and X6) why I should need to do it for CA X6.

no slowdon noticed from X5 to X6 here - I have a kvm switch to have backup and a backup computer, the backup computer atelon X2 runs nearly as fast as the new i5 with X6 ... i am usually drawing not to complex residential though so that probably is the difference.

having a backup computer makes buying a new one or having work done on the computer almost a blessing as oposed to being shutdown waiting for parts etc and sying yes sir to the repair guy..