The tedium that is overframing

GeneDavis

I'm doing one with a lot of overframed roof segments, both trussed and stick-framed.  Always the under-roof is trussed.

These are tedious to roof, if you want the framing details right and the material lists to be close, but that's what's expected from me for this one guy I draw for.

Every under-roof has to be stripped of its finishes above the sheathing, so they have to be separated from their adjacent planes, and respecified accordingly.  You can't use join-roof-plane tools to do the valley and hip and ridge intersections, so you go with all the tedium of editing using the temp points of intersects.

Overframing has got to be a common thing in residential housebuilding, much more common than NanaWall doors, slide-by glass doors, pocket doors in cabinets, and some of the other recent requests.  Shouldn't this have some automation to it, much like we have a way to say what a wall spec is when it is abutted to a roof?

It is definitely a great goal but you have to remember that chief still has difficulty knowing how to frame a wall.  Compound miters are likely a programming issue that needs to be addressed to be able to do this with any amount of elegance. It might be better to ask for an official chief video that shows the correct use of manual tools which may lead to streamlining of any deficiencies and some more robust manual tools that can be used for other custom situations as well.

2 hours ago, GeneDavis said:

I'm doing one with a lot of overframed roof segments, both trussed and stick-framed.  Always the under-roof is trussed.

These are tedious to roof, if you want the framing details right and the material lists to be close, but that's what's expected from me for this one guy I draw for.

Every under-roof has to be stripped of its finishes above the sheathing, so they have to be separated from their adjacent planes, and respecified accordingly.  You can't use join-roof-plane tools to do the valley and hip and ridge intersections, so you go with all the tedium of editing using the temp points of intersects.

Overframing has got to be a common thing in residential housebuilding, much more common than NanaWall doors, slide-by glass doors, pocket doors in cabinets, and some of the other recent requests.  Shouldn't this have some automation to it, much like we have a way to say what a wall spec is when it is abutted to a roof?

I've used a valley truss base and then used trusses to display as rafters. I remove the bottom chord in the truss detail. I'm not sure about material reporting that way...I haven't looked into that.

To avoid having 2 rafters as part of the same truss, just use a truss for half, then copy /reflect it over the center.

@Alaskan_Son came up with what I would say is pretty quick way to handle this. See what he did in this thread. Once i understood how to rotate the 3d shape correctly it was honestly a breeze to get it done.

I'd definitely support chief taking the time to make over-framed roofs easier by enhancing the framing tools or even making another roof base plane for stick framed areas like they do for trusses.

Hope this helps in the mean time though.