CAD DETAIL LAYER COLOR

BruceKC

Hi everyone, I sent my elevations to Cad from Detail.  When I open the CAD detail up, I want to change the Cad, default patterns layer to a different color and lineweight, but no matter how I try to do that, they remain the same.  Very confusing.

Hey everyone, I understand your feelings, but I've worked in Autocad Architecture for over 35 years.  I want my drawings to look a certain way, and that isn't possible as far as I can see if you just use the elevation camera view.  At least here in Kansas City, everyone's construction documents look pretty much the same, with line weights carefully manipulated, line styles carefully done to indicate above and below grade, etc.  I stopped using Chief Architect after X1 because of numerous issues that I couldn't control.  I like X12 and we're seriously considering migrating from Autocad Architecture to X12....but only if we can control the exact way the drawings are presented.  Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but like every other program out there, Chief has it's strong suits and it's weak suits.  I'm just trying to get what I need, and if that's not possible, probably won't migrate.

This is what we're striving for.  I'd be interested in seeing a full set of elevations Joey.  We wouldn't be interested in prints with color or fill as the builders won't pay for color paper copies.  You all have me wondering though what is possible that we're unaware of.  Thanks for all of your help, the people in the Chief site are incredible, and you've all been such a tremendous help to us so far. 

FRONT.pdf

Chief can have that look without editing in the layout.  You just need to setup your defaults and get things dialed in.

Now to mention one thing that Erik and Joey both did not regarding cad details.  When you send something to a cad detail it will send two copies of the line.  So you really have to change all the lines.  But WOW that will take you forever to do construction documents in that way.

I would agree with all of the others that have recommended that you should try to avoid converting your elevation views into cad details.  Cad details are not a dynamic representation of the model and every time you make any changes to the model you will then have to remember to manually change your cad details to match.  That said, there are times when it can be useful to to create a cad detail so it's also important to understand how these things work.

Hi everyone, I sent my elevations to Cad from Detail.  When I open the CAD detail up, I want to change the Cad, default patterns layer to a different color and lineweight, but no matter how I try to do that, they remain the same.  Very confusing.

When you send an elevation view to a cad detail, all of the pattern lines are converted into cad lines and put onto a single layer called "CAD_Default_Patterns".  Since the pattern lines could have different colors and line weights, they are all created with the "By Layer" option turned off.  You can open up any of these cad lines and change the line color, line style, or line weight to anything you like.  If you want to control them using the layer, then you will need to turn "By Layer" back on.  This is basically how all cad lines work in Chief.

...but I've worked in Autocad Architecture for over 35 years.

Chief is not autocad and you should not expect things to work the same.  I would highly recommend that you watch some (or maybe all) of the videos related to the cad tools starting here:

cad lines.png

• Upvote 1