3-PANEL Sliding Patio Door

robdyck

Does anyone know if Chief can show a patio door like the one shown in the image? And if so...how? Chief always puts the opening unit in the middle :(

And if you use a 2 / 1 combination, you can't specify the opening unit all the way to one side.

image.thumb.png.dffb738f65e26495c3b35d786245f157.png

In the Options Panel of the dbx set the left to 3 and the right to 0 - or - right to 3 and left to 0

Chief will show 2 of the panels as sliding.

Note that Chief will by default show the "Inside Panels" as sliding - but you can reverse the "swing" to make it the outside panels.

9 hours ago, GeneDavis said:

Mull to fixed is the way they're bought and built, so just do it.

Not here. Or maybe you researched manufacturers in Western Canada:) So in our region, many mfrs have developed a system (to provide an affordable alternative to Nana Wall) where multiple panels are positioned within a single frame. The fixed panels are adjacent to and connected to each other and the frame with an interlocking seal...no mullions.

The image I originally posted is actually from a tech manual.

Sounds like what I'm looking at in my Florida house right now.  Three panels each on rollers, open it and the connecting slides allow stacking.

I'm thinking these are generally warm climate products, and most are aluminum-framed.

But I was talking about the brands like Andersen, Pella, Marvin, Lincoln, Windsor.

Hope you wrote up a suggestion for Chief to ponder, and it ought to include images.

It's obvious that there are a lot of different configurations available today from various manufacturers.  For CA to program all possible cases would be IMO unreasonable.  For those cases that are not available as automatic options in Chief we can use combinations of doors an mull them to create what we need.  

Yes, it's more work for us but once we've done it .....    It can be saved in the Library for future use.  

IMO that's the kind of thing I get paid for and I just don't think it's reasonable to expect CA to program every special condition.

5 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

IMO that's the kind of thing I get paid for and I just don't think it's reasonable to expect CA to program every special condition

I completely agree with this Joe, but dangit it's difficult to make the door I wanted! I thought it'd be easy to use 3 separate door panels with no jamb or casing, and a separate doorway with the jamb and casing, then mull them. But it's too difficult to control the door panel inset so that the 2 fixed panels are, let's say centered on the main layer, and the opening panel is to the exterior of those panels.

Ok, close enough, right? I just can't open this door for certain view types...and I still get Chief's gorgeous sill! And don't get me started on the jamb material issues. Why can a window have separate materials for the frame and trim, but not a door  for the jamb and trim (unless you spec a molding)??

image.thumb.png.27c9e551c50ae47211da64ca72b042dd.png

And GEEEEEEEEZ. Materials!! Easy enough to place 3 panels and make your own door symbol, but if you want proper material control for inside vs outside you pretty much need to build every piece like you're in the factory! 

6 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Rob, You don't really need the "Doorway".  You can specify the casings, etc for the "Mulled Unit"

Yeah...about that...to get my panel offset, I used 2 panels with no jamb or casing, and 1 "fixed" panel that's recessed. Then when you mull them, the casing is recessed, and if you unselect that...it pulls the opening unit away from the others. That's why I made a symbol from the 3 panels.

Capture.PNG

There are two classes of doors mentioned in this thread, both of which Chief should address with mods.

Stacking multi-slides are what Rob is needing.  Almost all in market are aluminum, and almost all are warm-clime doors.

Fold-in and stack.  Often referred to with the NanaWall brand.  Cost as much as a car.  

Just as we got barn doors from Chief, we should get these.  Good 2-d representation, and in 3-d, options to show open or closed, and for open, how much open.

Who's done proper requests for these?