How can you create a Tray Ceiling without a Cantilevered Underside?

JAB522

Go to solution Solved by jlogan02,

Is there a way to create a Tray Ceiling without the cantilevered underside? I've been able to achieve something close to what I want by setting the initial trey ceiling width to 1" but it still shows a lip or ledge around the top of the wall. Also I'm trying to preserve my wall height. Meaning if my wall height is 94" and I want a tray that starts flush from that wall height and pitches in with no cantilevered lip. Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions! 

Here is an image of the type of tray ceiling I'm trying to create in my 3D models. 

1598772457_MasterBathroom(2).thumb.jpg.3ba055a0f3541c3ecee016390de568a6.jpg

4 hours ago, JAB522 said:

Is there a way to create a Tray Ceiling without the cantilevered underside? I've been able to achieve something close to what I want by setting the initial trey ceiling width to 1" but it still shows a lip or ledge around the top of the wall. Also I'm trying to preserve my wall height. Meaning if my wall height is 94" and I want a tray that starts flush from that wall height and pitches in with no cantilevered lip. Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions! 

Here is an image of the type of tray ceiling I'm trying to create in my 3D models. 

1598772457_MasterBathroom(2).thumb.jpg.3ba055a0f3541c3ecee016390de568a6.jpg

There is a tool in Chief X12 that allows you to get this ceiling in about 10 seconds...watch the video

Chief Architect Premier X12 - Tray Ceilings in less than 1 minute — Watch Video

83ef2548491e476c96db2a62f48b4f27-with-play.gif

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SNestor said:

There is a tool in Chief X12 that allows you to get this ceiling in about 10 seconds...watch the video

Chief Architect Premier X12 - Tray Ceilings in less than 1 minute — Watch Video

83ef2548491e476c96db2a62f48b4f27-with-play.gif

Good Day @SNestor, followed the steps which worked perfectly but I'm getting a gap between my wall and the tray ceiling. I've attached an image below of what's happening. Thanks for your advice. 

Tray Ceiling.jpg

17 hours ago, MarkMc said:

Use a molding.

image.thumb.png.a920606ca658d3c8333accddb3b3019c.pngimage.thumb.png.5e86d6ae4b32a3d7d5c947a9ef679f51.png

Hi @MarkMc, Is this a custom molding you created? The only crown molding in the library I can find close to the one you used (which looks exactly like what I need) is the CA-35 and that has a flat front. Many thanks! 

1 hour ago, JAB522 said:

Hi @MarkMc, Is this a custom molding you created? The only crown molding in the library I can find close to the one you used (which looks exactly like what I need) is the CA-35 and that has a flat front. Many thanks! 

Yes custom molding takes a minute to make

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Solution

I realize this is a couple months old and you're probably done, but just in case someone else searches for this topic. You can also use the soffit tool found under the cabinet menu. Incredibly easy. I found all other suggestions worked well too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

@JAB522 Did you ever find a solution for the gap around the edges? I have a trey ceiling situation that I am having trouble with as well and it seems like they could have similar solutions. 

I've got a trey ceiling in the kitchen area and then a barrel vault ceiling in the hallway behind. The Kitchen trey ceiling appears to be in-line with the edge of a wall in the attached image, but I can't pull the ceiling line to the wall without it disappearing in 3d. It seems like there's a minimum of 1 1/4" between the end of the wall and the trey ceiling line needed for the side walls to appear, anything smaller leaves the side walls open with the gap. Same problem is happening at the barrel vault, which seems to end in the vertical at the surface of the wall. Any solutions would be welcome!!!

image.thumb.png.d3be8d211fe882794e36942d946a90e8.png

kitchen (19).jpg

hall (5).jpg

• 5 months later...