What Would Be 1 Thing You Would Love To See Ca Fix Or Add?

ragetoca

Go to solution Solved by ragetoca,

Full parametric 3D modeling of chimneys/fireplaces with the ability to specify chimney cap, fire brick in firebox (or insert), hearth cap thickness and material, mantel type or thickness and material. It should be able to produce a technically accurate cross-section and floor plan view. The current tool dates back to before version 7 and is now visually pointless compared to the rest of the program.

• Upvote 1

While the stair issue is incredibly annoying, it can be worked around as Joey has shown. However, the "auto update" (or I should say the "non auto-update") issue in Layout needs to be corrected ASAP. You can send out incorrect elevations with no idea that they are not up to date, and this represents a serious liability issue from my standpoint. Luckily, I have only experienced serious embarrassment to date.

Kelly I have suggested that also, wish we could have something like the arc tool so we can draw our own arc and a straight like that makes the connection also

Alert!  Stupid question coming up......  why can't we use the spline tool.....  what happens?  I assume if I then moved the light fixture the spline would not follow.  

Yeah,  why can't we use an ELECTRICAL SPLINE TOOL?  This way we could control the shape.

If you mean modernizing the code base and I have to learn computer codes I not for that, I think most of us come from a construction background or drafting background, I know building and I can build it and draw it I don't know computer codes, Scott this might be a studid  statement worst then you ?

Raymond:

with a macro recording feature you don't need to learn code

1. turn on recorder

2. click to perform your tasks

3. turn off recorder

4. save/name the recorded macro

5. run that macro whenever you need to repeat the recorded steps

also, just like symbols you could also buy macros created by others

also, many users would post macros for free on the forum

basically, you would only need to use macros if you wanted to

otherwise you would use Chief just like you do now

macros just save time/effort - lots of time/effort

macros are for the "lazy" :)

Lew

I'm a neophyte in CA so not sure yet which ONE thing to update. I have been making a list for the past month using CA of the problems I have encountered.
The Stair on my current project is driving me nuts with a cable railing and 3 floors with stair over the other & floor height different.
Thanks for the suggestion to turn them off & just work in CAD (I think the CAD sucks BTW).
But the lack of Auto Update of layouts is an insidious monster waiting to bite you on the butt.
The least I would want is a button for UPDATE ALL LAYOUTS!!!!  Then you could turn the extra fan on the computer and go out for lunch while it works. :)

The problem with 'macros' is as the program evolves and the code is rewritten they no longer function...  Microsoft Excel is a prime example.  

Also, as the program evolves, there is less and less need for macros. Take a trip down Memory Lane: http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread.php?34156-Keystroke-Macros . What people were using macros for back then seems ridiculously easy now.

The problem with 'macros' is as the program evolves and the code is rewritten they no longer function...  Microsoft Excel is a prime example

Bill:

yet, millions use Excel macros everyday :)

are we avoid all the "power" that macros can add

because things might change ???

life changes - everything changes

adjust - adapt - improve

or don't use macros even while the rest of us are

they would/should be optional to getting things done in chief

Lew

Thanks for the suggestion to turn them off & just work in CAD (I think the CAD sucks BTW).

I've never used AutoCAD but I tried it the other day and all I can tell you is that the CAD really sucks in that program. There's too much to learn and I already know one way to do things. [/sarcasm]

Glenn:

will try when time allows

very busy setting up my museum

when CA first announced they were working on macros

I sent Chris Tenabrink about 6 samples but have no idea where they are now

since PC died in Jan

Meanwhile, when working on a plan and you find yourself repeating a task

think how it would be nice to record those steps and be able to repeat whenever needed

Lew

Lew,

Stop stalling.

You have been going on about recordable macros for years.

It shouldn't be that hard to come up with a couple of examples.

I need to draw a wall on most projects and build an auto roof - how will recordable macros speed that up?

There are things that are repetitive like typing text, taking views, etc,  etc, but there are better ways to repeat those sorts of things than recording a macro.

The library, cad blocks, etc, work quite well and are easier than macros.

I'll wait for you to give me some examples - how about even 2 or 3?