Importing Images Into Library

RobUSMC

Does anyone know how or is it possible to import images and place them in the user library to be used in a layout and sometimes a plan.  The images are ones I use alot in layouts such as a saved jpg of wall blocking for cabinets, standard blocking for grab bars, LVL beam install, material specs / pic, etc.  I know I can add a single image into the library but I need to add 100+ and was hoping there was a way to import folders pull of images.  See a few of examples.  Thanks

Duct Soffit Framing Detail.JPG

LVL - Double Beam 2.jpg

Shower Pony Wall Specs - Double Niche 3.JPG

Navian Roof Venting.PNG

Wall Cabinet Attachment 2.jpg

Can Light Layout - 12 Inch.jpg

Mirror Frame Top Rail Light Clearance.JPG

Charging Drawer 5.jpg

Vanity Grooming WITH OUTLET  445-VBOSC-8C.jpg

Ahh.. now I see that in your last sentence.  You should put that in your first sentence! ;)
No, I don't know of a way to batch import... but I'm kind of curious why you'd find it more convenient to have them in the user library than any other system folder you could browse and import from?

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, DzinEye said:

but I'm kind of curious why you'd find it more convenient to have them in the user library than any other system folder you could browse and import from?

YES!!!  This^^^^  I often wonder the same thing.  I feel like we got locked into this mindset that everything has to happen inside Chief when there's really no logical reason that it has to be this way.  The same can be said for macros and text objects amongst other things.  Sometimes storing outside Chief allows for more effective searching, more robust filing options, easier editing, and even quicker access. 

Michael.... Very true.  However, when someone in my office comes along and renames a file path and moves some folders all those image links are gone.  I was just wanting to insure they were only accessible by myself and instead of always having to go to certain folders outside of CA I'm just trying to streamline things.  Bottom line it does seem possible to import batches.

7 minutes ago, RobUSMC said:

Bottom line it does seem possible to import batches.

You said up in your original post that you know that you "can add a single image into the library", but that statement alone leaves a lot of questions and the terminology really needs to be clarified first.

In Chief Architect®, an Image is a unique object type that displays your desired picture file in 3DThe plan view representation of an Image is a 2D Block.  Images can be batch imported using Build>Image>Create Image Library, but I don't think this is actually what you want as you won't be able to display these pictures in plan views or place them in layout.

We can also batch import Backdrops using File>Import>Create Backdrop Library but again, you can't use these picture files in plan view or in layout.  They are only intended to be used as Backdrops in 3D.

What I think you really want is a way to bath import Picture File Boxes.  The problem here is that these cannot be directly added to the library at all.  In order to ad a Picture File Box to your user library, you first have to block it.  You can then name that CAD Block and add the CAD Block to your library.  This means you must first create and name individual CAD Blocks before they can even be added to the library.  There's simply no way of doing this in a batch.  The fastest method IMO would be to simply File>Import>Import Picture, group select all the desired picture files from any given folder, click Open, and then one by one, Shift select, Make CAD Block, name CAD Block, and Add to Library. 

23 minutes ago, RobUSMC said:

when someone in my office comes along and renames a file path and moves some folders all those image links are gone.

Maybe just store them in a more appropriate location then.  One that doesn't get moved... such as your Chief Architect Premier X12 Data folder.  You could also get into the habit of opening the Picture File Box and checking Save in Plan.  Just a couple thoughts.

16 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

You could also get into the habit of opening the Picture File Box and checking Save in Plan.

Just wanted to highlight this very important sentence since it was at the end of a long post and might get missed.

Yes, that will eliminate the problem of picture files getting moved for deleted.

I "got into the habit" after throwing away picture files that I thought got Saved In Plan, then opened an old file and nope, it's gone.

Kinda like a sudden freeze after a few hours of work will "teach" you to hit command-S every once in a while :D