Making Openings Visible In Orthographic Overview Plan Views

portrait

Hello,  I occassionally need to present the conceptual floor plans, and have been using Autocad+Photoshop for this task. However this kind of task could easily be achieved with Chief Architect using the orthographic floor overview, and taking a top view.

The problem about floor overview is that the slicing plane is just under the ceiling, and the view doesn't show you the windows and doors.  I would like to know if there's a setting to change the height of the slicing plane, so we could gather a plan which the windows and doors are visible.  I know that by changing the rendering type to standart, tech. illustration, etc. cross-section slider is enabled, and you can adjust the vertical position of the slicing plane. However this is not an option for me, since techniques other than 'vector view' disables the chance to get "CAD Detail from View". (Which is cruical to send the plan view to Autocad-->making pdf-->and sending to Photoshop for final enhancements) 

Another method i use is temporarily lowering the ceiling height, so the openings are taller than the walls, and become visible. But this is a tricky way, and i would like to know if there's anything i have been missing. 

Thanks...  

example.jpg

56 minutes ago, portrait said:

Hello,  I occassionally need to present the conceptual floor plans, and have been using Autocad+Photoshop for this task. However this kind of task could easily be achieved with Chief Architect using the orthographic floor overview, and taking a top view.

The problem about floor overview is that the slicing plane is just under the ceiling, and the view doesn't show you the windows and doors.  I would like to know if there's a setting to change the height of the slicing plane, so we could gather a plan which the windows and doors are visible.  I know that by changing the rendering type to standart, tech. illustration, etc. cross-section slider is enabled, and you can adjust the vertical position of the slicing plane. However this is not an option for me, since techniques other than 'vector view' disables the chance to get "CAD Detail from View". (Which is cruical to send the plan view to Autocad-->making pdf-->and sending to Photoshop for final enhancements) 

Another method i use is temporarily lowering the ceiling height, so the openings are taller than the walls, and become visible. But this is a tricky way, and i would like to know if there's anything i have been missing. 

Thanks...  

example.jpg

Search for Cross-Section Slider.

Thanks. But there are still two problems. First of all, when i switched to vector view, cross-slider is disabled again. I don't know how you were able to use cross-slider in that view.

Secondly, i prefer a parallel projection. A real plan view. Perspective overview doesn't provide a real top view, it's still a perspective.

1 hour ago, portrait said:

Thanks. But there are still two problems. First of all, when i switched to vector view, cross-slider is disabled again. I don't know how you were able to use cross-slider in that view.

Secondly, i prefer a parallel projection. A real plan view. Perspective overview doesn't provide a real top view, it's still a perspective.

image.thumb.png.f3dbab6a1b97aa4fd9376646908c439c.png

55 minutes ago, portrait said:

Nice, but windows and doors are not visible. That's what i'm asking for.

image.thumb.png.9f3bea8849737a83cbf0dcae5ec1425d.png

You can show the doors at least in this view but not the swing arc.  Sliding doors are also troublesome.

A work around is to send it to layout with the doors not shown open like this and then overlay a line drawing with the slice set showing the doors/windows in a plot lines type directly over the first.  You will then be able to see it all.  Sorry Don't have time to show you what I mean but it is possible I believe.  This type of view is not very common in the US market so I doubt it is high priority for chief.  This just happened to be a personal project for a close friend in Central America where this is common and they wanted to see it.

Thanks for the comments. I think i'll stick with lowering the floor heights method- so that the openings are higher than the walls and they become visible. Gathering the output as a CAD file is a major priority for me.

The other feature i would be tempted with is the ability of getting shadow borders as a CAD data on elevation views and perspective. As far as i figure out, no program has this ability.