Custom Ceilings and railings below

luckyudesign

You're likely getting no responses because you haven't posted the plan.  A lot of people just get tired of asking and so they just pass right on by.  You would probably have an accurate answer in a matter of minutes if you posted the plan, otherwise it's anyone's guess as to what's going on in your plan.  I could personally play the guessing game but I have better things to do.

• Upvote 3

Ok, I guess I didn't know it was common practice to post the plan if you don't have to. I personally don't like uploading and downloading a whole plan if it's not necessary and I have had this happen to me enough I figured someone would know right off what I was talking about and could tell me a solution.

With that being said, I drew a sample plan that isn't nearly as big as the one I'm having the issue with and recreated the problem. I find it is tied to the wall below the stairway. You delete the wall and the ceiling fills in. 

Ceiling Example Plan.zip

Ok, not sure why it didn't but I think I got it figured out. The wall under the stairs was affecting the ceiling above the stairs. Change it to a railing and it does not. However, you can not put a door in a railing (with a header above it). Thankfully on this plan its just a doorway so I could draw a pass through window but not sure what I would do if i wanted an actual door.......

32 minutes ago, luckyudesign said:

Ok, not sure why it didn't 

What Eric was trying to say is that YOU cannot have the plan open in Chief when you try to zip it.   Close the plan and then zip it.  If you try zipping while the plan is open then the resulting zipped file contains no information.  

7 hours ago, luckyudesign said:

Ok, not sure why it didn't but I think I got it figured out. The wall under the stairs was affecting the ceiling above the stairs. Change it to a railing and it does not. However, you can not put a door in a railing (with a header above it). Thankfully on this plan its just a doorway so I could draw a pass through window but not sure what I would do if i wanted an actual door.......

BIG GUESSES here since we don't have the plan to look at.

1.) Are you manually manipulating walls to get the shape and height you want?

2.) How are you setting up those "Dormer" Alcoves?  More manually shaping walls?

A couple of assumptions being made here but my best guess says you tend to work a lot of times in 3d mode with walls and forcing them to shape how you want them to do.  That is generally a bad practice to have.  In 99% of the cases if you have to reshape a wall it is because you have something not setup to work the way chief has designed it to work.  Also try to use the auto tools as much as possible in Chief.  They play nicely together especially when all walls have that default top and bottom height buttons checked...

As a side note, neat looking little place.  One small observation.  Are those stairs engineered to hang from the exterior wall?  Because if not you don't appear to have enough room to fit the stair stringer, a doorway of that height, and a header for the door in the space showing.

Best of luck on the rest of your plan!

ok, attached is the sample plan I recreated the problem in. Thank you, alaskansons, for pointing that out. I knew that but was in a hurry when I tried to upload that yesterday evening and guess I didn't close out the program first and didn't try the file before I sent it. 

Now, on Ryans question about the manual manipulation of the wall. In this sample plan, as you can see in the short video, the wall I start with is not manually edited. I simply drew a wall under the stairs. That gave me a short cutout in the manual ceiling above. But, as I show in the video, if I manually pull the top of the wall down, it instantly makes a cutout in the ceiling the full length of the wall. When I change the wall to a railing, it gets rid of all the cutout. 

Yes, that is a manually drawn dormer alcove. I guess I didn't know this style could even be drawn automatically. I try not to spend a lot of time on getting 3d just perfect as it is not my bread and butter but I am always wanting to improve. 

image.thumb.png.e207114cb7de12bb1bdb7a5eac9b6b67.png

on the stairs, those are timber treads so won't be built with traditional stringers. The timbers will sit on the walls. This is the pic my client sent me. That 1 tread that is closest above the door may need some steel or other reinforcement or be plowed out to fit over the door header being there is not a lot of room between it and the top of the door. 

1685430953_timbertreads.thumb.jpeg.320b1c945742ef62ead8276d3a4c63c7.jpeg

Ceiling Example Plan.plan

Edited by luckyudesign
Wrong wording