Help with sloping garage floor

BeeoHat

Go to solution Solved by Gawdzira,

Tommy,

I think the "secret" is whether it's originally drawn in plan or elevation. Polyline solid drawn in plan has some editing options I wasn't aware of.

We were just discussing slabs/solids, when to use what at our last mtg.

At least Monday hasn't been a total loss anyway.

I however is as confused as ever.  :)   Thanks for all the suggestions guys, will eventually figure it out I hope. I downloaded the plan and it becomes somewhat easier to grasp if looking in plan and elevation at the same time in two windows. 

Tommy,

I think the "secret" is whether it's originally drawn in plan or elevation. Polyline solid drawn in plan has some editing options I wasn't aware of.

We were just discussing slabs/solids, when to use what at our last mtg.

At least Monday hasn't been a total loss anyway.

Holy f'ing komoley,  I don't know how to use this yet...  but I have never seen this,  and I don't even know how to do what jim did.

Jim,  you did not draw this in elevation,  you drew in plan....  correct?

And if this is correct,  how did did you "TILT" it?

This is so weird,  if I look at it in plan view,  there are TWO,  I said TWO images of the psolid.  

Wow,  I don't think TB knew about it,  Jim thought TB knew about it,  so Jim found something that I do not think too many people,  including TB even knew existed,  .

Hey Jim,  help me out here...  you drew it in plan..  correct?

And then you  tilted it,  correct?

How did you  tilt it?

It can be tilted in an elevation by group selecting it.

Jim,  this is so weird,  how do you group select a psolid in elevation if it is drawn in plan?  Well one way is to select it and then shift and select another PSOLID that happens to be there......  this is bizarre........  or you can select it,  hold down shift key and reselect and now you can rotate it....  but it is rotating around something somewhere else in the cosmos....  this is so bizarre.....  I have to think about this for a day or so......  what an interesting thread....

Who started this dang thread.....  this is going to cost me a lot of money and time figuring out this mess........

Polyline solids are FULLY editable only in the view they are created in, whether in plan or cross section elevation. In a view other than the one it was created in, a polyline solid can only be made larger or smaller. So if you start in cross section, you can reshape a polyline solid to look like a sloped slab (you will be looking at it on edge), for example, then in plan you can enlarge it to cover a area with four sides; but you will not be able to manipulate it to fill an L-shape area (you could using two separate polyline solids, one for each area).

On the other hand, if you start in plan, you can manipulate a polyline solid to fill an L-shape area, but when you go to cross section elevation you will not be able to slope it (you can only change its overall size), that is, unless your change the polyline solid to a SOLID first (while you are in plan; look for the Convert to Solid tool at the bottom). In that case, you would be able to rotate it in cross section elevation.

I don't know how Tommy was able to both slope a polyline solid in elevation AND reshape it in plan view.

• Upvote 1

I don't know how Tommy was able to both slope a polyline solid in elevation AND reshape it in plan view.

He wasn't,  and he has now conceded this.  He has admitted that he was mistaken.  But with that said,  this is some weird stuff that I have not seen before

I don't think it "jumps" anywhere, you just get a red outline that is not where the object really is. & you edit that red outline.

Group selecting- several ways to do that;

• select an object/ hold down shift key & select it again.
  • select it, hold down the shift key, select something else, then deselect that 2nd selection.
  • Hold the shift key down & draw a selection box around the object.

Whatever way gets the rotate handle to appear.

I think once the polyline solid starts getting irregularly shaped in plan, group selecting gets more difficult.

Pretty weird stuff.

• ......select it, hold down the shift key, select something else, then deselect that 2nd selection............

Now this is interesting.....  I tried to do a TRANSFORM/REPLICATE after doing Jim's suggestion,  I got something really odd.......

I've sloped a polyline solid in elevation several times today, & I've also edited the shape in a 3D camera.

so I don't know what you're stating here, MickeyToo.

The "convert to solid" on the edit toolbar is curious. never noticed that until you just mentioned it.

I do think that the polyline solid gets more difficult to group select (for sloping) in an elevation as the 2D plan view shape gets irregular.

You are correct, ebdesign. A polyline solid that is created in plan view where it can be reshaped to say, cover the area of an L-shaped garage, can then be group selected in cross section elevation and rotated/sloped. I had tried this prior to my post but could not group select the polyline solid (I was able to do so using one of the other methods in your subsequent post - thanks). It is interesting that the rotation behavior is this case is the same as for the SOLID, and is quite different from the control you have when starting with a polyline solid in elevation. Of course, then it is not fully editable in plan, which then leads to the question of why polyline solids are NOT fully editable in both views???

In any event, if Chief would only provide control for sloping a slab in the specifications dialog (something that is long over due), we could use all this valuable time and energy on doing what we bought Chief for - designing structures!

• 10 months later...