Need Advise

TerryDunn

Morning,

Im a builder and currently use soft plan for drawing. However it is an older version and runs on an old computer on my desk. My main computer is a Mac, and its a pain to have two set ups and im always messing with old computer.

I only use Softplan for floor plans and elevations, nothing else. I have avoided upgrading Softplan because they won't make it for Mac. I don't care to go through the bootcamp.

So what do you think. Is the Chief Architect Premier the way to go? Or is there something else cheaper to accomplish what I need that can run on Mac?

4 hours ago, TerryDunn said:

Morning,

Im a builder and currently use soft plan for drawing. However it is an older version and runs on an old computer on my desk. My main computer is a Mac, and its a pain to have two set ups and im always messing with old computer.

I only use Softplan for floor plans and elevations, nothing else. I have avoided upgrading Softplan because they won't make it for Mac. I don't care to go through the bootcamp.

So what do you think. Is the Chief Architect Premier the way to go? Or is there something else cheaper to accomplish what I need that can run on Mac?

Curious, why would you buy a computer with an operating system that wasn't compatible with the software you have? 

Makes me think of someone buying jigsaw blades for their circular saw and then wonder why the circular saw doesn't cut anymore.

5 hours ago, parkwest said:

Curious, why would you buy a computer with an operating system that wasn't compatible with the software you have? 

Makes me think of someone buying jigsaw blades for their circular saw and then wonder why the circular saw doesn't cut anymore.

Thats not what i did at all. The computer was what I had in my office when i was building. it worked just fine. I kept it running for over 15 years. When i moved out of the office and home I continued using it. But my home computer is a Mac. Now Im on my last leg of the old computer but don't want to try and make the software run on the mac. So was thinking of switching.

On 3/5/2021 at 7:51 AM, TerryDunn said:

I don't know, it depends on how much you want to spend and if Premier is a good investment based on your goals with the software

I used HomeDesigner Pro for a few months before switching to Premier, and developed quite a few house plans and construction sets with it

That would be a similar experience only much cheaper. Then if you decide to upgrade to Premier they credit you the full amount you spent on HDP (or at least did at that time)

I will say, one reason I'm stuck with paying SSA is the ability to send clients 3D models of their design they can view at home. Worth every penny

2 hours ago, Chrisb222 said:

I don't know, it depends on how much you want to spend and if Premier is a good investment based on your goals with the software

I used HomeDesigner Pro for a few months before switching to Premier, and developed quite a few house plans and construction sets with it

That would be a similar experience only much cheaper. Then if you decide to upgrade to Premier they credit you the full amount you spent on HDP (or at least did at that time)

I will say, one reason I'm stuck with paying SSA is the ability to send clients 3D models of their design they can view at home. Worth every penny

Thanks for the input. I only build spec houses, so I only need floor plans and elevations. Ill check out Home Designer Pro

On 3/7/2021 at 4:10 PM, TerryDunn said:

Thanks for the input. I only build spec houses, so I only need floor plans and elevations. Ill check out Home Designer Pro

That's cool. I did that during the crash and loved it, no homeowners to deal with. Now I'm back to design/build contract houses but the headaches! I have thought about returning to spec building, it has a lot of upsides! Good luck

If you are building spec homes. Chief will allow you to render some pretty realistic designs. I use it to generate premarket concepts along with the 2d drawings for a couple of builders/flip guys. 8 out of the 9 was sold before we demoed the existing structures. The 9th one is pending contract. Specs are easier when you are not dealing with HO in the building process. however, it feels good knowing you have a buy. Chief allows you to manage the expectations also. You can show people pretty much exactly what they are getting. May take you a bit to get up to speed but its worth it.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Chrisb222 said:

That's cool. I did that during the crash and loved it, no homeowners to deal with. Now I'm back to design/build contract houses but the headaches! I have thought about returning to spec building, it has a lot of upsides! Good luck

It's the safer way in this climate, contract building. Im older so I don't need as much income and find the risk is better than dealing with customers, Im pretty sure Im being lazy in attitude :(

Thanks for your input. What area of the country are you in? Im in Michigan

1 hour ago, TerryDunn said:

It's the safer way in this climate, contract building.

Well a lot of spec builders here can't build em fast enough, they're usually sold before framing is finished

Im older so I don't need as much income and find the risk is better than dealing with customers, Im pretty sure Im being lazy in attitude :(

Hey do what you want, I fully intend to build only spec houses when I "retire" 

One older gentleman who did that told his realtor, don't even bring anyone around until after the house is done and I'm gone!

Thanks for your input. What area of the country are you in? Im in Michigan

Southern Ohio