Lowering 1st floor ceiling without losing 2nd floor custom roof

QwertyGraves

Attached is a backup of plans for a house I hope to build this Spring.  The plan contains a couple features that I needed some help with, because they were beyond my skill level or because they were beyond the features of Home Designer Suite 2021.  A kind sole with stronger skills and a license to Chief Architect Premier X11 helped me.  Unfortunately, that person has become too busy to continue to help.  I have been able to use my skills and Home Designer Suite 2021 to make adjustments as I continue to iterate and tweak plans... with one exception.  It is my sincere hope, and humble ask that someone in this forum might be able to help me out with that blocker.

Specifically, I would like to change the 1st floor to have 8' instead of 9' ceilings.  Every time/way I attempt to do this, the things that I needed help with get borked up.  Those things are:
1. The roof over the house (the greatest concern and really the core thing beyond my capability)
2. The stairs to the 2nd floor
3. The chimney on the roof (which is somewhat of a duplicate of issue #1 and the least concern)

The short knee walls on the 2nd floor may strike folks as odd, they are something like ~6’6” under the shed dormers and ~4’2” to the sides... but they are intentional.  I don't want to change anything about the 2nd floor or roof apart from the fact that the overall structure will be ~12" shorter when the floor wall shrink by ~1' resulting in standard 8' ceilings on that 1st floor.

The ask is for assistance lowering the 1st floor ceiling without loosing aspects of the 2nd floor... particularly those 3 things listed above that I needed help with.  Is there anyone out there willing to help me make this single adjustment.  I really have tried and researched everything I can think of and all the approaches hose the custom roof that I cannot restore.  Please and Thank you!

---

P.S. You may observe some 'defects' in the plan like a wall that slightly protrudes the roof and the foundation has some sort of unnecessary frost wall beneath the basement.  Those things really don't bother me and don't really need to be fixed because they don't impact my ability to get a feel for the space and convey plans to the Builder.

Roof Help.zip

Thank you for the reply, all assistance is appreciated.  I don't know if you tried it yourself with the file but as soon as I change the ceiling height on the 1st floor… The roof disappears.  Maybe that is just a bug on my end?  I'm running the Mac version of Home Designer.

@GeneDavis when they click on seeking services over there it sends them here.

@QwertyGraves I don't use MAC so couldn't tell you about that.

Here you go. The roof did not disappear when I used my method. BTW....don't drag walls up and down, that causes a lot of issues. There are setting to stop walls at roofs.

Roof Help-Fixed.zip

@joey_martin I really did try your method a couple times and I lost the roof, it must be something on my end.  I really would prefer to fish for myself but you got me out of a bind for today.  You took time out of your day to help a complete stranger.  As that stranger I regret that there is not a favor that I could return, so please accept my simple thank you.  Thank you!  I am very appreciative.  You are a good dude.

• Upvote 2