Hexagon Window

robdyck

I don't know how and this silly thing has taken enough of my time so I'm cheating!

1. section view through any window
  2. polylines replicating chief's window sash and frame and my casing
  3. add to library as stacked molding
  4. section view of the wall to get this goofy window
  5. draw a hexagon
  6. copy in place, convert to 3d molding, for the previously mentioned stacked molding
  7. grab hexagon, copy in place, convert to material region for glass
  8. replicate material region so there is one inside the wall and one outside the wall.
  9. position 3d molding accurately over the wall
  10. select all 3 items, convert to arch. block, assign to window layer, adjust label.
  11. Move on with my life!
  12. image.thumb.png.023dfb8ab3c232c6a9a1ecd2793221db.png
  13. close enough!

13 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Dangit if I can't find the button for that! Anyhow, I appreciate the tips. I'm sure I'll need another hexagon window in about 20 years!

Ya, you may never need a hexagon window again, but the same basics can be used to produce all sorts of other window shapes too.  Its not too uncommon a need.  In fact, it just came up earlier today in this thread...

In that example though, you would use the Shape tab instead of the Arch settings.  At any rate, I posted a link in that thread to a video I made a couple years back.  Again, the window is a slightly different shape but the basics remain.

P.S.  I showed the Wall Cutout Polyline thing in that video as well.

2 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

I guess no one thought to look in the library.

Are you saying you have a Hexagon window in your Core Library?  Or are you saying there's one in one of the Bonus Catalogs?

Regardless, assuming there is one (which I don't have in my library), the chances that the casing, frame, sash, etc. are correct are between slim and none, and the chances that the size is correct is even lower. 

2 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Are you saying you have a Hexagon window in your Core Library?

Yes they are kinda buried so you might actually have some.  Core > Architectural > Windows > Window Units > Octagonal

Also I did not play but I though there was a setting with Symbol windows for the plan defaults to provide the casing ?