Back clipped cross section at angle?

Larry_Sweeney

Many of my projects are duplicating 18th and 19th early American homes. With these projects come many interior and exterior details. one of my "pet peeves" is not being able to do a back clipped cross section on a gable end overhang at the same angle as the roof (attachment).  Many times I might use 6 or more moldings in building the frieze, soffit & fascia and it would be nice to easily show this detail. Is there a work around for this or is it worth suggesting? Not only showing this detail in the construction docs., but being able to look at the placement of profiles as I'm designing it. 

Gable End Section.jpg

I guess I could copy the roof plane and wall off to the side and change the pitch to zero. I'm trying real hard to think why that won't work ;), but in this situation it would work (not ideal) but it would. I know if I take time to think on this subject a little more I could come up with reasons why it would not in some circumstances, but your idea is a fair work around, which is what I asked for. I appreciate your advice and taking the time to get back to me. Maybe I should put forth the idea of using the "back clipped cross section" in a cross section view and being able to rotate is worth a "Suggestion" thread.  With knowing all the other items that need to/should be fixed or made available, this would be WAY BACK on the list. Well, it's now time for a coffee. Be safe and have a great day.

13 minutes ago, Larry_Sweeney said:

I guess I could copy the roof plane and wall off to the side and change the pitch to zero. I'm trying real hard to think why that won't work ;), but in this situation it would work (not ideal) but it would. I know if I take time to think on this subject a little more I could come up with reasons why it would not in some circumstances, but your idea is a fair work around, which is what I asked for. I appreciate your advice and taking the time to get back to me. Maybe I should put forth the idea of using the "back clipped cross section" in a cross section view and being able to rotate is worth a "Suggestion" thread.  With knowing all the other items that need to/should be fixed or made available, this would be WAY BACK on the list. Well, it's now time for a coffee. Be safe and have a great day.

Eric's suggestion is so simple that the brilliance of it is almost missed. You could have that that detail done in less time than your last post! I'd probably use those roof plane copies in a separate plan, just to avoid messing up the model.

@solverKudos for thinking outside the box!

Just now, GeneDavis said:

Insert the molding stack into s CAD detail?  Less time than talking about it here?

Definetly! And there's hardly anything to adding the few CAD items to show the roof plane and wall. Those should already exist somewhere in his other details, right? You gotta think like a kid in school these days....ctrl-c, ctrl-v...all day long.