John_Charles

WHAT ITEMS CAN BE SELECTED IN CROSS SECTION ELEVATIONS?

Hi all

I had a search but couldn't find an answer to this and it is frustrating me.

I'm doing a below ground pool and working through getting some steps right ie heights and widths etc also with changes I want to make.  There is a higher level walkway which I have coming down to the pool via 3 steps, which I have built by using the stair tool and changing the material to concrete, and then steps within the pool itself which I have modeled as polyline solid boxes.

The issue is how best to detail the cross section and refine locations etc as they are a mess in elevation view and I can't figure out why can't I snap or select.

When I use a cross section / elevation through it all I cannot select either the stairs or the polyline solids in the elevation view.  I am also having issues selecting anything like these for dimensioning (won't snap) regardless of the fact that I have snaps turned on.  Same thing happens in wall elevation when I am working through the house itself.

My work around has been to draw a line then another one at the position I want and get what objects I can select to snap to them, and working in plan view with heights for other items, but that doesn't work for polyline solids as there are no height references. 

1282829083_Screenshot2021-03-0213_43_29.thumb.png.ea835698206890c31e5761a6084cedbf.png

Is there a better way?

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thank you

More is selectable in Vector View than some other rendering options.

If you do not care for the color that Vector View shows, turn off color and toggle shadows off.

2 minutes ago, JJohnson said:

More is selectable in Vector View than some other rendering options.

That's a bit of an unusual statement.  Do you have an example in mind?

2 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

That's a bit of an unusual statement.  Do you have an example in mind?

That's about the most diplomatic response I've ever seen on this forum! ;)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, John_Charles said:

Is there a better way?

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

You’re not doing anything wrong. Chief just struggles with snapping and selections in cross section or elevation views. 

The best practice is:

1) get real comfortable with Storypole dimension tool and elevation markers. 

2) use the Cad Detail From View feature. Pick your line and then copy back in place in your cross section view. 

Sometimes you can skip the "Cad Detail from View" step by moving your cross section camera so that it cuts through the object you want tot snap to. 

Hi all

So in my frustration and late night deadline approaching need for a solution, I resorted to deleting my polyline solids, taking a back clipped cross section then drawing a cad shape and converting it to a polyline solid AFTER getting it into position, then extruding it in plan view.  Thankfully I've had lot's of time drawing in 2D with the old Autosketch (great program) so was able to muddle my way through....

Seems awfully odd that you can edit some items but not others within the same elevation.  I get walls etc but polyline solids?

Anyway, worked around it...

Cheers