Is there a release date for X13? I did search, but got a lot of beta x13 topic returns.  Seems as though it is late this year.

Sharon Olsen

X12 was released February 28, 2020 and a new features list was put out months before. 

Although we’ve had some snippets via video training webinars there’s still no new features list for X13 even. 
They're obviously late. Hopefully the wait will be worth it. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thank you Michael!  For some reason, it seemed that X12 was at the beginning of Feb. 2020—BUT........given what a tumultuous year 2020 was and 2021 has continued—I am fortunate to remember my name at this point LOL.  Sharon

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Hello Sharon and Michael,

Chatted with CA last Friday and asked about release date for the public beta, they said that we would get a email when released (those with current SSA) for the beta. 

Also they said that Actual release will be in the first half of the year (unless they find something during beta). So my guess would be before or around June as they just started beta in January of this year. No I am not a beta tester but by reading the forums someone said that they started in January. (of course they could have done in-house beta testing first)

Hopes this information helps.

Dominic

• Upvote 1

I haven’t been up to date with CA since retiring from home design work. When it’s in beta, it usually comes out within a couple of months. My guess will be, “any day now” but hey it’s only a guess. These beta boys don’t take that long. Yes, I hope it will be worth the wait and SSA is worth the money. To get back on board from previous versions, should definitely not be that steep with an SSA program in force. If you want previous users back on board, then please consider cutting back the upgrade charges. Why not just have a flat fee for any previous expired versions, plus SSA to be current ? Does it really need to be more than a few hundred dollars plus SSA ? For example when X13 comes out, if a person has an expired version of X12 why not just charge SSA. For X11 and later, a single small flat fee plus SSA ? You can only try it and see what happens over the course of a year or to the next release. In the end, if the next version is sufficient enough, you should hope to see the current and past users get back on board or to stay on board. It puts CA under pressure to keep producing more excellent versions of its program. Something to think about anyway. Enjoy.

What really sucks is paying $500 for SSA back in February which I never use and still no upgrade.  This keeps up it may very well  be my last. You pay for an upgrade and it doesn’t come. And don’t give me Covid excuses. SSA is a crock, used to be you could ask questions, now it’s for bug reporting. What a joke. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

5 hours ago, DougDM said:

What really sucks is paying $500 for SSA back in February which I never use and still no upgrade.  This keeps up it may very well  be my last. You pay for an upgrade and it doesn’t come. And don’t give me Covid excuses. SSA is a crock, used to be you could ask questions, now it’s for bug reporting. What a joke. 

Would you want a new version that works?  Or, a version that comes out on a certain date... whether it works or not?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

DougDM, it all about being fair and your complaint is quite legitimate and fair. It’s good for admin to consider wether SSA is really relevant, when they are obviously having trouble producing a sufficient upgrade within a 12 month cycle. Initially that was the goal for them to produce an upgrade within a 12 month period. They should consider going back to their original system of an upgrade charge when a new version is released. In Archicad you get an upgrade in the framework of a yearly fee that has a set 12 month period starting from July each year. Every subscriber is on that 12 month period from July to June the next year and everyone gets the upgrade without fail for that yearly fee. Of course Archicad costs allot more than Chief but you do get allot more and as it is fully created for commercial construction projects. Something for CA to think about in order to be fair in what they do with an SSA program that will guarantee an upgrade during the 12 month period of SSA. My thoughts about them being fair.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, parkwest said:

Would you want a new version that works?  Or, a version that comes out on a certain date... whether it works or not?

It's the way it is anyway, Been using CA since I think version 9 and yet to see a release that hasn't needed some fixins  (expected) of just more work a round's than you can shake a stick at. So where does your statement fit in?   I think you're missing the point.  Heck, I've been asking for it to be able to do a frame over valley plate for 10 years.  SSA is useless to me,  Bugs will be fixed without me calling um in. So I'm paying for an upgrade and catalogs, If an update were to come out in the 1st quarter as they typically do, I at least get close to a years worth of new software capabilities.  If we don't get X13 till for example the summer, That means I paid $500 for 1/2 a years use of X13 and then having to spend another $500 come next February for X14.  You don't have an issue with that?  If you state a release date (which was said 1st quarter) stick to it, hire more people if need be.      40 years as a GC and drawing since high school, cad sinse 1982 when AutoCad came out.  I get the job done in the time promised.  It's getting to be like taking meds your doctor prescribed,  Keeps ya coming back for more.  Maybe I'm a bit premature and I'll retract my rant if released by months end.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, DougDM said:

It's the way it is anyway, Been using CA since I think version 9 and yet to see a release that hasn't needed some fixins  (expected) of just more work a round's than you can shake a stick at. So where does your statement fit in?   I think you're missing the point.  Heck, I've been asking for it to be able to do a frame over valley plate for 10 years.  SSA is useless to me,  Bugs will be fixed without me calling um in. So I'm paying for an upgrade and catalogs, If an update were to come out in the 1st quarter as they typically do, I at least get close to a years worth of new software capabilities.  If we don't get X13 till for example the summer, That means I paid $500 for 1/2 a years use of X13 and then having to spend another $500 come next February for X14.  You don't have an issue with that?  If you state a release date (which was said 1st quarter) stick to it, hire more people if need be.      40 years as a GC and drawing since high school, cad sinse 1982 when AutoCad came out.  I get the job done in the time promised.  It's getting to be like taking meds your doctor prescribed,  Keeps ya coming back for more.  Maybe I'm a bit premature and I'll retract my rant if released by months end.

Did you forget we have just gone through over a year of the government shutdown of small businesses? 

I am sure Chief isn't holding back the new release just to piss off customers.

If it makes you feel better, SoftPlan just released their new upgrade this morning... and they usually do that around the builder show time.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

20 hours ago, DougDM said:

What a joke. 

Shhhh quiet Doug you can't say anything negative about the Chief around these parts or you'll get downvoted into oblivion by the White Nights.... better to keep your opinions and legitimate frustrations bottled up instead of bringing up grievances which have remained unaddressed for the better part of a decade... oh, and SoftPlan or something something hur-de-hurr. People don't want to switch to Softplan (though I'm sure some will) they just want CA to fix these issues.

I see they've come for me too - bring it on I take your downvotes as a sign I'm saying something that needs to be said. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 4

29 minutes ago, parkwest said:

Did you forget we have just gone through over a year of the government shutdown of small businesses? 

I am sure Chief isn't holding back the new release just to piss off customers.

If it makes you feel better, SoftPlan just released their new upgrade this morning... and they usually do that around the builder show time.

No I didn't forget. I myself worked from home, as did most if you needed to. I continue too.  As I'm sure you are.  Them holding back..what kind of a statement is that? Jeeeezzzz. And AutoCad released 2021/22 about month ago, So what's your point?   Forget about it, 

• Downvote 1

35 minutes ago, kylejmarsh said:

Shhhh quiet Doug you can't say anything negative about the Chief around these parts or you'll get downvoted into oblivion by the White Nights.... better to keep your opinions and legitimate frustrations bottled up instead of bringing up grievances which have remained unaddressed for the better part of a decade... oh, and SoftPlan or something something hur-de-hurr. People don't want to switch to Softplan (though I'm sure some will) they just want CA to fix these issues.

I see they've come for me too - bring it on I take your downvotes as a sign I'm saying something that needs to be said. 

LOL, I hear ya.   I see he and I ride the same motorcycle.  A start to something good.

• Upvote 1

X13 is currently in beta test.  We should be starting the public beta in the near future.  I won't give you any actual release dates because there are still too many unknowns at this point.  We will only release it when we feel it is really ready. 

Yes, X13 is late this year.  This was not intentional but I won't try to explain all of the reasons why because they will just sound like excuses to some people.  Some of them were entirely our fault but others were things we had absolutely no control over.  Covid related issues were definitely a factor.  Some of them were very obvious like employees missing work because of illness and others less so, like not being able to get new video cards because of supply chain problems.

It is our current intention to shorten the release cycle for X14 so that we can continue to release new versions in the first quarter of every year.  This is always subject to change though so you won't get any guarantees on this.

The SSA program is an annual subscription that includes free upgrades, priority technical support, training discounts, bonus content, and more.  Your specific SSA renewal date has nothing to do with our software release dates.  You may get more than one upgrade during your SSA period or you might get none.  We still feel that SSA is a good value and the best way to stay current with our software.  If you don't agree, then please remember that SSA is entirely optional and that you can continue to use your current version without renewing your SSA if you prefer.

You can find more information about SSA here: 

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/products/ssa/

If you have any more questions about the SSA program, feel free to contact our sales or customer service team to speak with a representative.

• Upvote 9

31 minutes ago, Dermot said:

The SSA program is an annual subscription that includes free upgrades, priority technical support, training discounts, bonus content, and more.

Online 3D Models!!

31 minutes ago, Dermot said:

Your specific SSA renewal date has nothing to do with our software release dates.

Understood and thanks for the update.

Does that make me a fanboy? Eh, I don't downvote people that gripe because their gripes are legit to THEM. But for me, I just plug along and try to give a little back to this great forum.

• Upvote 1

CA never promised annual releases as part of the SSA cost

what they said and still say is IF an upgrade is issued and IF your SSA is current then you get it for "free"

SSA is aimed at "free" tech support and "free" catalogs and "free" updates

getting the upgrade is just ONE more benefit WHEN they arrive

Lew

I just gave everyone that had a downvote an upvote

down voting for expressing an opinion is childish ...

Lew

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

9 minutes ago, lbuttery said:

I just gave everyone that had a downvote an upvote

down voting for expressing an opinion is childish ...

Lew

That’s funny.  I always do the same thing whenever I see a “karen” vote.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Well it’s always good when admin clarifies the situation. I must say, I haven’t seen two upgrades in one 12 month period of SSA yet ? But hey, there is always a first time for that to happen in the future. Still no guarantees. I personally don’t think that jumping ship to SoftPlan is the answer. I do understand that the pandemic can definitely slow down production when people need to isolate. Peoples lives are definitely more important than a new upgrade. Looking forward to see what improvements are made and what new features we may get in X13. All in good fun.

• Upvote 1

Griping about spending $525 annually for your PRIMARY work tool seems misplaced, even if you don't feel like there is $525 of value. If the new upgrade saves you just 5 minutes a day, that is (240 work days x 5 minutes) 20 hours of time saved per year, whether there is a new version or not in that period. And this efficiency is compounded with each successive version. Assuming you're not billing by the hour (in which case, slowness is more profitable), you'd be crazy not to upgrade when you have the chance. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Richard_Morrison said:

...Assuming you're not billing by the hour (in which case, slowness is more profitable)....

I agree whole heartedly with almost everything you said.  The above is the only thing I take issue with.  First off, slowness is equally as profitable if a person stays busy all the time. If on the other hand a person has a hard time staying busy (perhaps because they’re too expensive) then speed can actually be more profitable because it makes their services more valuable and therefore they may sell more jobs.  In addition to those scenarios, being faster can also very easily justify higher rates which again is more profitable.  

And lastly, some of us have a base fee and/or charge by a percentage of construction value in addition to an hourly rate.  In these cases more jobs can easily equate to higher profits, so assuming we have enough work, the faster we do the job the more money we make.  Just to help illustrate...I could charge a $300 base fee for each project and only charge $5 an hour.  If I could draw a set of plans in an hour though, I could hypothetically do 8 jobs a day and make $305 an hour.  

I think it’s very good to show our support for CA. Since RM uses other cad, like I do, it’s an extra incentive to see that CA is doing the job for him and others that use other software as well. Let’s see what goodies we get in X13 once it is released to the public.

Geez.  I think all the lock downs are rattling our brains.

Do I like paying for things that seem like they equate to air?  No.  But.  

Honestly - you're all gripping and whining over what?  I've had major issues that I've tried to resolve, stupid questions I needed answered in the past, and yes, i was very thankful that I could call for support and a very kind voice on the other end who patiently reached out to me, helped me through various questions and problems regarding Chief and the ins and outs.  When I need a resource, I typically find it readily in the catalogue, download it without an issue.  Many, many other perks that have saved me time.  For less than 1/2 of my billable hourly rate a month I get the assistance I need.  

Really people.  There are worse things in the world to be wasting your time on.

I would like to point out - that there are a few individuals on this forum that are curt and condescending to individuals that aren't as brilliant and all knowing as them.  Perhaps these folks would like to create their own amazing programs, and take their followers with them.  

In all honestly - I cringe when I throw out a question or comment on this forum for fear of being chastised.  Interesting "free" support.  

IF YOU DON'T like the program, move on.  IF YOU HAVE proactive suggestions and comments - complaints or give thumbs up to CA technical support.  THAT is the place to your comments so that corrections, changes can be made.

Thanks.  I'd rather pay for it - so that I am spoken to respectfully.  Oh and get regular "go to" webinars and seminars that have really helped me improve my skills and business.  Oh yes, hmm, I think they were for free because I pay SSA or otherwise.  

Folks should learn how to respond politely in written form, and realize that everyone is entitled to their opinion.  But not at the expense or respect of others.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Over time (over 20 years with Chief) I have become more and more comfortable with upgrades by keeping my hopes high and my expectations low and with the last 3 or 4 upgrades Chief has become more and more useful in small ways that have added subtly to production on a day to day basis. In the early days there were some 'features' that were so difficult to implement that the next upgrade was almost imperative to really get work done without a pretty good sized chunk of crazy thrown in, but in the latter years Chief has become so functional (for this user at least) that I don't really even need a program update. I know this is not a shared experience with all users and don't mean to imply that it is, but it makes the wait for the next upgrade more than tolerable. I also almost never use technical support as most questions are answered here and have no real reason for the benefits of SSA but as Richard mentions above $525 a year spread over the year amounts to such a small percentage of additional cost to doing business, it's almost a rounding error.

What will the new features in X13 bring to the table for my particular usage? Probably very little but my hope is, and it has borne out more than once, that it will be just a little bit better in enough areas that again my productivity goes up just that little bit more making the upgrade worth the wait and expense.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1